Latest News
  • Book Summerslam 2018 for a chance to win TEW2016! Check out the TEW2016 section.
  • Follow @BrendenPlayz on Twitter to stay up to date with all things BPZ.
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
Sign in to follow this  
ICON

Mae Young Classic Official Discussion

A fitting tribute to the legendary Hall of Famer. It was either going to be her or Moolah that got the name. She lived and breathed wrestling and was still handing out ass kickings until her last days.

I think Asuka is an obvious choice, but I also think she'll suffer her first loss in the final of the tournament. Who to? No idea.

Loving the fact that it's suppose to honor Mae Young as it shines some proper respect to a woman who gave her life to the wrestling business. 

Soemthing im wondering is will they put in the woman already in the WWE or will they use this as a way to bring in a ton of other woman into the company. If it's a mix of both, I'd have to say it will most likely be someone outside of the company that they are looking to make into the next big thing in women's wrestling. In terms of Asuka making it to the finals, I think they can easily remove her early by having her face Ember Moon depending on if she has dropped the title to her at this point, which I believe she will do so sooner or later. Overall however extremely excited for this. 

Perfect name for the tournament. An honorable title for a tournament which will hopefully make history, not just for women's wrestling but for all of professional wrestling.

19 minutes ago, King Flynn said:

Loving the fact that it's suppose to honor Mae Young as it shines some proper respect to a woman who gave her life to the wrestling business. 

Soemthing im wondering is will they put in the woman already in the WWE or will they use this as a way to bring in a ton of other woman into the company. If it's a mix of both, I'd have to say it will most likely be someone outside of the company that they are looking to make into the next big thing in women's wrestling. In terms of Asuka making it to the finals, I think they can easily remove her early by having her face Ember Moon depending on if she has dropped the title to her at this point, which I believe she will do so sooner or later. Overall however extremely excited for this. 

PW Insider reported that "the tournament would be similar to the Cruiserweight Classic with a big focus being on different international competitors" so, from that, I would say the competitors are going to be from outside of WWE. However, the Cruiserweight Classic did also include a couple of wrestlers already signed to WWE so the women's tournament roster may be a mix too.

Furthermore, PW Insider also reported "there are talents already going through the traditional background checks that take place before WWE offers deals" and that was on May 5th so it might not be long until the competitors are announced.

20170522_MaeYoung_Classic--3d79bc1ec1604

WWE has announced that the first-ever Mae Young Classic women’s tournament will take place Thursday, July 13, and Friday, July 14, from Full Sail Live in Orlando, Fla.

The tournament, named after WWE Hall of Famer and one of the greatest WWE Superstars in history, Mae Young, will feature 32 of the top female competitors from around the world participating in a single-elimination tournament. The unprecedented event will stream later this summer exclusively on WWE Network.

“The Mae Young Classic will mark a significant moment in the evolution of WWE,” said Paul “Triple H” Levesque, WWE Executive Vice President, Talent, Live Events and Creative. “We are proud to provide this unique opportunity for the best female talent from around the world.”

Additional information on the Mae Young Classic will be announced in the coming weeks.

Source: WWE.com

22 hours ago, SummerGamz said:

I'm pretty sure those new Japanese women that recently signed for WWE will be featured here. I'm hoping we also get to see Candice LaRae in this after her recent appearances on NXT. I think there's some really underrated women on the NXT Roster that can break out here. 

I think women that are already on WWE shows are less likely to be in the tournament but like you said, I'd expect WWE to use those new Japanese women that they've just signed and haven't used yet. Furthermore, I'd also expect WWE to get women from around the world who are working the indies. I'd like to see some big names like Sexy Star and Ivelisse from Lucha Underground. I'd also suggest the likes of Gail Kim and others from TNA but I assume TNA has them on closed contracts.

Either way, I trust WWE to find good women wrestlers to fill this tournament. Despite their misuse of women in the past, they've been very good at finding women from the indies who aren't really known and making them into big stars like Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch.

My big question about this tournament is what does the winner get? I mean if its a guaranteed contract then its pointless since a bunch of wrestlers will probably get signed from the tournament, if its a championship then why? I mean we already have 3 women's championships so whats the point of a fourth unless it acts like the UK title that lets them compete outside of WWE. So what exactly will the tournament be for? 

11 hours ago, FDS said:

My big question about this tournament is what does the winner get? I mean if its a guaranteed contract then its pointless since a bunch of wrestlers will probably get signed from the tournament, if its a championship then why? I mean we already have 3 women's championships so whats the point of a fourth unless it acts like the UK title that lets them compete outside of WWE. So what exactly will the tournament be for? 

To prove you're the best women's wrestler in the world? That alone sounds like a pretty good accomplishment to me. Imagine the exposure the winner would get. They would be getting at least double the number of indy shows wanting to book them and their indy career would literally reach its peak. If they sign with the WWE, then that's even better in terms of money and fame. Overall, it just adds prestige to your name like a championship would.

My guess is that whoever wins this will be headed to RAW, as Stephanie was a big Mae Young mark, and would love to have the winner of the tournament on her show. My early early prediction would be that Io Shirai, the woman who recently signed to WWE, will win the tournament. 

According to Pwinsider (via squaredcirclesirens.com), the Mae Young Classic will feature a mix of currently signed NXT talents along with independent names. NXT talents such as Bianca Blair, Lacey Evans, Taynara Melo, Sarah Logan, Kimber Lee, Julia Ho, Victoria Gonzalez, Mary-Kate, Danielle Kamela, and Zhao Xia have all been rumored for the tournament. They would join recently signed talents such as Nixon Newell, Evie, Demi Bennett, Kairi Hojo, and Thea Trinidad in the tournament. Independent performers Marti Belle and Mia Yim are also rumored to participate.

Source: 411Mania.com

First competitors revealed for WWE's Mae Young Classic 

Toni Storm 

International standout Toni Storm, NXT Superstars Lacey Evans and Sarah Logan, and lucha libre champion Princesa Sugehit are the first four competitors officially confirmed for WWE’s inaugural Mae Young Classic.

The announcement brings into focus the global scale of the 32-woman tournament, coming this summer to the award-winning WWE Network.

Twenty-one-year-old Toni Storm  is the first and reigning PROGRESS Women’s Champion in the United Kingdom. Already an eight-year veteran, Storm has carved out a reputation worldwide: Born in New Zealand, raised in Australia and based in the U.K., she wrestled in 13 countries before age 20, capturing championships along the way. With an aesthetic flair that finds inspiration in ‘80s rock, plus a ring style that is equal parts technical and hard-hitting, Storm looks to impress on her biggest stage yet in the Classic.

Lacey Evans

Lacey Evans, of Parris Island, S.C., is a familiar face to WWE Network subscribers. A newcomer inside the yellow ropes of NXT, Evans joined the WWE Performance Center in April 2016. Prior to pursuing sports-entertainment, she served in the U.S. Marine Corps for five years, including time spent as military police and a member of the Special Reactions Team, which is the Marine equivalent of a SWAT Team. Nicknamed “The Lady of NXT,” Evans has said she hopes to use her platform in WWE to show women all over the world, including her 4-year-old daughter, that there are no limits on what you can achieve.

Sarah Logan 

Hailing from Louisville, Ky., Sarah Logan is proud to have been “born in the woods and raised in the mud,” as she puts it. Like Evans, Logan is an NXT competitor and recruit at the Performance Center. She began her in-ring career on the U.S. independent scene in 2011, and quickly gained notoriety for her rough-and-tumble fights. She refined her skills in Japan under former WWE Light Heavyweight Champion Taka Michinoku before signing with WWE in October 2016. Logan, who has also won Olympic powerlifting competitions, made her NXT TV debut earlier this year.

Princesa Sugehit

One of the most esteemed grapplers in Mexico, the masked Princesa Sugehit, from Monterrey, brings 20 years’ experience to the Classic. Since turning professional in 1996, Sugehit has earned countless accolades while competing in her home country’s top organizations, CMLL and AAA. Not only that, but she has claimed the masks of numerous rivals over the year, which is considered the ultimate sign of triumph in lucha libre. She is also the current Mexican National Women’s Champion. 

Full Article: 

http://www.wwe.com/shows/maeyoungclassic/article/toni-storm-lacey-evans-sarah-logan-princesa-sugehit-wwe-mae-young 

According to Pro Wrestling Sheet has learned, former WWE star Serena Deeb is in talks with WWE to participate in the upcoming Mae Young Classic tournament, despite technically being retired from the ring.

Sources note Serena Deeb has been discussing coming out of retirement with WWE to compete in this summer’s Mae Young Classic tournament, however, it’s not a done deal quite yet.

WreslteZone.com 

The anticipation for WWE’s inaugural Mae Young Classic continues to grow with the announcement of five more entrants into the tournament, as first reported by ESPN.com.

Third-generation wrestler Tessa Blanchard, hard-hitting veteran Abbey Laith, black-belt judoka Taynara Conti, international bruiser Jazzy Gabert and Great Khali protégé Kavita Devi are the latest additions to the Classic, which streams this summer, exclusively on WWE Network.

They will join Toni Storm, Princesa Sugehit, Lacey Evans and Sarah Logan, who were announced last week for the 32-woman tournament.

wwe.com