Latest News
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
Sign in to follow this  
BrendenPlayz

Smackdowns Booking of NXT Stars

So this year we've seen a few major names come from NXT and move to Smackdown, with the main ones being Roode, Nakamura and I will even say Tye Dillenger. In NXT, these three guys all had pretty good runs with the first two being the champions. But it seems to me as soon as they have arrived to Smackdown they just immediately lost everything. The entrances of Roode and Nakamura have been watered down for TV and don't feel as special. The booking of both guys has been strange and ineffective to say the least. Tye Dillenger had everyone screaming 10 for every count and he can't even get on the show more than once a month. It just seems WWE and Smackdown in particular takes a while to start figuring out how to use these guys.

Nakamura still luckily gets great reactions, but they still chose to push a piss poor Jinder Mahal over him despite this. Roode clearly should have come in as a heel, he's behind Styles, Orton and Nakamura right now and he certainly feels like it as well. Tye Dillenger they just never had a plan for at all and just brought him up to fill a roster spot. 

It makes me wonder how these new NXT girls will get used. Will they have a good 2 month run and then start being jobbed out? Probably. It'll be amazing if they even do something with one of those girls.

To me, smackdown needs to get their act together and fast. They're taking too much time to get these characters moving.

I agree with you here. It's a shame because I remember after the initial brand split, Smackdown were killing it. They elevated stars, gave people chances that were well deserved but still a bit shocking, i.e the Slater/Rhyno team, and just put on better shows somewhat regularly. Fast forward to now, its basically the same stars over and over, and there aren't very many interesting acts who actually develop their characters. 

Mike Bennett was another guy who turned up, with Maria, on smackdown, skipping NXT, and fizzled out almost immediately. With Nakamura, I think he is proof that having the level of charisma he has can save you a bit because I think if anyone else was treated the way he has been, he wouldn't at least still be in the top portion of the card. Nakamura and Roode were examples of just watering down their NXT characters to fit the WWE's agenda, but failing to realise that their characters in NXT were just as important as any over entrance or natural charisma. Dillinger is sad. I think it was inevitable that he wasn't going to last but I didn't think they'd give up on him this quickly. He, for me, is the biggest example of the main roster calling someone up for the sole reason of having them on their show, without any actual plan. At the very least I think he could be effective if he is put in a tag team of some sorts... maybe a heel team with Ziggler, perhaps?

As for the 3 new women: I wouldn't be surprised to see them end up the same way. At least with these 3, there does at least seem to be a goal that they wish to achieve. Their call up feels more like they forced their way on to the show with a purpose, rather than being called up because of popularity (kayfabe wise). I do think though that Morgan and Logan will end up jobbing out the second WWE realise they don't have a long term plan. Ruby Riot(t) though I could see actually being treated somewhat decently. She looks different etc, so hopefully they do something with her because she is very talented. 

Overall though, you're right. I get the feeling that Vince or whoever decides 'right, lets call this people up' and springs it on his writing staff, and the RAW writing staff just do a better job of quickly making plans for them, whilst the Smackdown staff seem to struggle.

I hate to see NXT guys struggle on the main roster, it frustrates me beyond relief. Because you have guys like Tyler Breeze, Tye, and Shinsuke who have so much talent and have great gimmicks, and when they are brought to the main roster they do nothing but pull a "Dolph Ziggler", I mean yeah Shinsuke got a world title shot and all but it was against Jinder Mahal and he lost, his gimmick is not the best, he shouldn't be an artist or a rockstar. He should be the king of strong style, someone who kicks ass.

As for people like Tye and Mike, Mike should of not had a mini feud with Tye, he made his debut and looked impressive but at this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to NXT, he may not be the best in the ring but he is a good mid card heel who can win and lose matches similar to the likes of Cody Rhodes, Miz, and what not. I don't think he would be title material for awhile, but him being a legit competitor should of happened. His gimmick isn't bad, just the way he is being pushed is bad. And for Tye, he NEEDS to be a cocky heel, ofc the crowd loves the 10 gimmick, but that should be a heel gimmick. And then maybe Tye can get the push he needs.

Bobby Roode is being used perfectly imo, not being rushed to the world title and hopefully winning the US title, I like it.

It is a common case with NXT guys not being used properly. It is a shame because if your going to build a character up for a year then make a step up to do nothing then there may as well be no first step. And that is the case with 3/4 of NXT call-ups. Just think of earlier this year. Tye Dillenger, wasted. American Alpha, wasted. Thats why I am really enjoying the stuff that Samoa Joe is doing and the stuff he did with Brock.