Latest News
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
Sign in to follow this  
George AK

Fixing Football Problems

713px-Europa_League.svg.png

A Changed Europa League

The Europa League, not many sides want to be in it, and not many like it. So, how could you change that? This is how.

The Europa League is a european football competition that is a secondary competition to the Champions League. It has sides who are towards the middle of the upper half of leagues and also receives teams dropping into the competition from the Europa League, known as parachutes. So, the tournament starts with 48 teams split into 12 groups of four. Each team play each other twice just like the Champions League. After the games have been played, the top two teams go through into the knockouts and the rest go home. Then in the knockouts, the sides who have gone through are joined by the parachutes from the Champions League. And from there it is a two-legged knockout until the final which is one game at a neutral ground, where the winner gets a place in the Champions League in the next season.

If you want to improve this, first of all you need to address the way that the Europa League is a clone of the Champions League. As well as this it does last too long as the side who may have to play 13 games, and if a parachute team win they play 7. A third problem of the Europa League can't really be fixed, that is the lack of huge sides. But, to attract more viewer intrigue and more sponsorship from big brands and TV. You could scrap the group stages. That why it is a straight knockout competition and will force teams to take it more seriously if they want to win it. And the parachute sides can still come into the competition. After the first round they can be added. Not only would this be solving a few problems of the competition, but also it would freshen up the competition and get more TV sponsorship. 

That is how I would change the Europa League. Let me know your opinion of this idea, and give me things I could fix in football. 

It can't attract big brands or TV when you don't have the star power like the Champions League does. This tournament is a "B" show for the CL and always will be how it is now. This year they had teams like Arsenal and Everton and last Liverpool and United. The EPL teams are the biggest draw in the tournament and it is mainly just for European teams to compete around Europe and get a spot in the CL next year. It can never be changed nor should it.

3 minutes ago, Ross said:

It can't attract big brands or TV when you don't have the star power like the Champions League does. This tournament is a "B" show for the CL and always will be how it is now. This year they had teams like Arsenal and Everton and last Liverpool and United. The EPL teams are the biggest draw in the tournament and it is mainly just for European teams to compete around Europe and get a spot in the CL next year. It can never be changed nor should it.

Ross, im not saying it should be changed, or that what they are competing for should be changed. Its purely a fantasy idea that would be cool to see put into action and give it its own identify.

03666197-392787.jpg

Dodgy Refereeing Decisions

Commonly, when watching football, you will see countless accounts of managers getting frustrated at a decision made by the referee or a linesman. Normally you will see them try and talk to the 4th official about what happened. But is there a way this can change?

A lot of ideas have been made, such as the three card idea, where the manager has 3 cards and when he sees a dodgy decision he can choose to review it by dropping a card. Then there are some people who don't care about the decisions at all and see them as a part of football. Then there is the biased fan, which make up about 75% of football fans, who when a dodgy decision is given in the favour of the team that their favourite side are facing get annoyed at referees, but don't mind if the decisions were given in their favour. 

To solve this problem is quite basic. You either, do nothing, which I believe should be done as dodgy decisions are part of football, and although they may get you annoyed or worked up, it happens to everyone (West Ham Fans). But, that would be boring and make this post terrible. So here is my theory. Over recent years we have had advancements in technology used to officiate games of football, such as vanishing spray and goal line technology. So why can't we have something like that to review decisions. You see countless cameras either taking pictures or recording the game. So why can't one of them be streamed to say a 5th official,who watches the game from a box. Then you can also implement the card system so when a manager wants to review a decision they can and the 5th official can decide if there was anything wrong.

A very similar system to this is used in cricket. Where reviews are a key part of the game, and you need to be careful on when to use them. The same with tennis. So, using a system like this in football may be a good idea. Anyway, that is what I think, let me know your opinions too.

fa_cup_70mm_front_cut-out.png
FA Cup Players

The FA Cup, is a knockout competition competed between all sides from the English football pyramid. Non-League sides go through many qualifying rounds to get into the cup, with League 1 and 2 sides entering in the first round proper. And the Premier League and Championship teams entering in round 3. Most Non-League sides really look forward to a good cup run and the prospect of being able to play against big sides. But when the day may happen, the side tend to face a second rate side. As these days we see Premier League teams trying to get themselves eliminated and starting their youth squad in the cup, instead of treating it like a difficult competition. Two key examples of teams who do this are Liverpool and West Ham. And as a Non-League football fan myself. Its sad to see. Having teams who really try their hardest to win and then the top teams who don't care. But there may be a way to rectify that. And it is as follows.

To stop the big sides from using their youth players, there is a simple technique. it is used in the Champions League and I don't see why it can't work in the FA Cup. I think that at the start of each season. You should have to enter an FA Cup squad. Meaning that only players put down on that list can play in the cup. If you introduce this to the Premier League and Championship sides. It would lead to the competition having way, way more interesting games, and a risk aspect. As the sides it would affect would have to gamble with who to put into their squad, so that if you get another big team in the draw you may have to use youth players if you entered youth players in your squad. Overall I think this would be a good change, that would definitely make the competition better. But, let me know your opinions on this topic too.