BrendenPlayz NXT Takeover XIII

NXT Takeover XIII is coming soon to Universe Mode on BrendenPlayz.
Coming Soon

Chat on Discord!

Join the BrendenPlayz discord channel and chat with fellow members!
Join

Clash of Champions

Every title is on the line at WWE Clash of Champions! Discuss the event here.
Discuss Here

BPZ vs Twitch on Total Extreme Wrestling!

Watch your very own wrestler come to life in the BPZ vs Twitch mod on Total Extreme Wrestling. How will your career fair when you are put against the very best in the BPZ Universe.
Watch Here
News Ticker
  • Survivor Series coming soon to BrendenPlayz
  • Create your own wrestling character and join all the fun in the "Kayfabe" section! Ask a moderator for more details
  • Watch your very own created wrestler be booked on the BPZ vs Twitch series! Available on BrendenPlayz' Twitch Channel
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
Sheridan

Who Should Have Won The Royal Rumble?

So myself, Bailey and Ropati had a fairly interesting discussion about who should have won the 2011 Royal Rumble, and it got me thinking about other times where I've felt a certain superstar should have won the royal rumble, but somebody else ended up winning. So it got me curious about what other people's opinions are on this topic. 

For example, instead of having Alberto Del Rio winning the 2011 Royal Rumble, I would have had CM Punk win. I think that CM Punk winning over Alberto Del Rio creates better opportunities, and adding CM Punk into the John Cena and The Miz match instantly makes it much better, furthermore the opportunity to lead that into the Summer of Punk is still plausible, and CM Punk and John Cena still could have had their amazing match at Money In The Bank. I don't necessarily think Del Rio was a bad winner, he was on a good run as a heel but people such as CM Punk and Wade Barrett would have made more sense for me.

So my question is what year do you think the wrong person was chosen to win the Royal Rumble, and who should have won it instead?

2013 Ryback

if anyone should have won the 2014 Royal Rumble It should have been Bray Wyatt you know the man Who beat Daniel Bryan earlier that night?

2015 Roman Reigns

2016 Roman Reigns just to see what would happen and who'd he face at Wrestlemania, But Realistically Dean Ambrose

2017 Bray Wyatt still could have gotten the same result if randy went into mania as champion and bray beating randy for the WWE Championship

2018 Rusev

2011 - I agree with @Sheridan in terms of CM Punk winning that Royal Rumble, by winning that Rumble, Punk could've had a more meaningful loss (that loss to Randy Orton was unnecessary) and could've still set up the Money In The Bank match between Punk and John Cena. In addition to that, by having Punk win, The Rock would still interfere in the WrestleMania 27 match which would plant the seeds early on for a Punk vs Rock rivalry and the win could've revived The Nexus.

2012 - Chris Jericho, as much as I thought that Sheamus deserved the win, that year should've been Jericho's year as it reminded us of how awesome Chris Jericho is as a character. Sheamus could've still squashed Daniel Bryan at the start of WrestleMania 28 and the main event between Jericho and Punk would've had an amazing storyline to back it up as a main event caliber match.

2013 - Dolph Ziggler. This was supposed to be the year that Ziggler would finally cement himself as a top star. He could've stayed heel and then turn face as the fans would support him more and more.

2014 - Roman Reigns. His performance in that Rumble was nothing short of incredible and walking out of that event, everyone thought that it was a waste to just give it to Batista.

2015 - Daniel Bryan. Regardless of what happened to Bryan after WrestleMania 31, the match between Daniel Bryan and Brock Lesnar would've been interesting and whether or not Seth Rollins would've cashed in husband Money In The Bank contract, the event would've ended on an exciting note.

2016 - Dean Ambrose. Just like Roman Reigns' performance, Dean Ambrose was impressive in this Rumble match and as he proved later in the year, this was Ambrose's year and the Rumble win should've been the start of it.

2017- Bray Wyatt. If I would change anything about Royal Rumble 2017 to WrestleMania 33 is just switching Bray Wyatt and Randy Orton, that's it. Wyatt should've won the Rumble, Orton should've won the Elimination Chamber match, Orton should've cemented himself as a heel after he burned down Bray Wyatt's house which would've turned Wyatt a face and then the WWE Championship match at WrestleMania 33 could've still ended with the face winning.

2018 - Shinsuke Nakamura. This match couldn't have been more perfect in terms of what I wanted. The only thing I would've changed is probably have Shinsuke Nakamura win the WWE Championship at WrestleMania 34 and keep him a face, perhaps turning AJ Styles heel.

1988 - It was the first Rumble and nothing was on the line so I am fine with Duggan winning.

1989 - Again nothing on the line but the story of Di Biase buying his way into Number 30 should have ended with him on top. That would have been great.

1990 - Nothing again on the line but Hogan didn't need the win. I think either the Ultimate Warrior or Mr Perfect should have won this one.

1991 - Agreed on Hogan 100%

1992 - Flair was once again the right choice to win both the Rumble and the title.

1993 - No issues with Yokozuna winning. There was really nobody else besides maybe Savage.

1994 - I think this would have been better had Bret been the solo winner.

1995 - Agree on the HBK win.

1996 - Same as previous.

1997 - Kinda pointless in the end Austin won this. I know the Rumble was all about him but he ended up not fighting for the title. So I would have given this to Undertaker in retrospect.

1998 - Austin winning was the right move.

1999 - The Vince win was pointless. Austin should have won this one.

2000 - Rock was the right choice.

2001 - Austin again the right choice.

2002 - HHH the right choice yeah.

2003 - No issues with Lesnar winning

2004 - Again no issues with Benoit.

2005 - No issues with Batista. Although Cena could have also won this.

2006 - Rey winning was mostly because of the Eddie passing. So it's acceptable.

2007 - No issue with Taker

2008 - No issue with Cena

2009 - No issue with Orton

2010 - No issue with Edge.

2011 - Yeah no. ADR had no business winning this. Punk was the right choice.

2012 - Jericho should have won this. Not Sheamus.

2013 - Agreed on Ziggler. Cena didn't need this one.

2014 - Daniel Bryan was the one who should have won it. Not Batista.

2015 - Had they gave Bryan the year before, Reigns winning here would be accepted. 

2016 - Ambrose winning this one would have been a better twist than HHH winning the title.

2017 - I would have had Bray win here and Orton be the Champion at WM.

2018 - Shinsuke winning was good. As for the Women's Asuka was the right choice too.

1999- I think Stone Cold Steve Austin winning would be the better choice than Vince McMahon.

1994- Bret Hart should have won, instead of having Lex Luger and Bret Hart co-winning the Rumble.

2016- Dean Ambrose should have won the Rumble. It would make the storyline of Reigns V.S. Ambrose interesting.

2018- Shinsuke being kept the winner, but having him beat AJ Styles at WrestleMania by cheating as the finish. (Low Blowing AJ Styles "accidently" and hitting him with the "Kinshasa" as the finish).

2 hours ago, Joh said:

1991 - Earthquake

I like to imagine how different Earthquakes career could of been in WWF considering how impressive he was during his stints in Japan. He did well for himself in WWF compared to other heels of course but i always felt there was room to grow. Now of course the Royal Rumble didn't mean as much in 1991 compared to what it started to mean as the event grew older but it could've been a nice tap that Hogan never needed each time he won.

10 hours ago, Arius said:

I like to imagine how different Earthquakes career could of been in WWF considering how impressive he was during his stints in Japan. He did well for himself in WWF compared to other heels of course but i always felt there was room to grow. Now of course the Royal Rumble didn't mean as much in 1991 compared to what it started to mean as the event grew older but it could've been a nice tap that Hogan never needed each time he won.

Exactly, Hogan never needed to win a Rumble because he was the main face of the company. At that time Earthquake was such a dominant force and even put Hogan out with a kayfabe injury after hitting his finisher on Hogan. 

Jericho should have won the Rumble in 2012, even though I like Sheamus, It was Jericho's year to win that rumble. Bryan winning in 2014 should have been the way to go. They could have had Batista insert himself into the match if they still wanted to go with the triple threat route.

The 1999 Royal Rumble is an interesting case given that it was won by Vince McMahon after nearly an hour instead of just number 30, quick in and out. Of course he was wasting time on commentary, getting beat up around the arena ect during the match but it's hard not to think this spot could've been given to someone more important. They could've reached their intended story point regardless of this result.

As for choices, sure Austin winning makes the most sense since he went on to main event Wrestelmania regardless but with two previous Royal Rumble victories and his place the PPV could've been reached regardless this would've been a great year to give the victory two wrestlers who were looking for that big step. A name that is constantly brought up as a dominate man in the Royal Rumble is Kane and '1999 could've been his year and then had his defence at the PPV before. Something.

I’m surprised that nobody has said anything about Kane winning the 2001 Royal Rumble. While yes, Austin vs Rock at WrestleMania 17 was good, I’ve heard people say that Kane should’ve won that Rumble purely based in how dominant he was. Setting the record for the most eliminations at the time in a rumble which is actually very entertaining to watch because of the hardcore aspect and I think if he did win, they could’ve done a great job afterwards with him. 

CM Punk should’ve won the 2011 Royal Rumble as many people said before. Del Rio vs Edge wasn’t great and was a contributing factor for people saying WrestleMania 27 was possibly the worst one ever. Edge vs Punk would’ve been great especially with the New Nexus behind Punk at the time and I believe the could’ve had a shining light on a dull show. Punk should’ve also won the 2014 Rumble. If not Punk that year then I’m glad Batista won to be honest. As much as it would’ve been a great moment for Bryan to win the rumble that year, I believe the build up they did with him afterwards was fantastic and was part of the reason so many people got behind him so the fact he didn’t win the rumble made the moment better when he did win at Mania. 

Anyways back to Punk, I think if he won the Rumble in 2014, not only could this have led to him staying, but he honestly did deserve it and the build up he had with The Authority stacking all the odds against him before the match was so fitting for a Punk win. I feel like they were trying to hint towards Kane vs Punk at Mania which would’ve been just meh. Obviously what happened was Kane eliminated Punk from that Rumble and the rest is history.