BrendenPlayz Survivor Series

Survivor Series is coming soon to Universe Mode on BrendenPlayz. View the match card!
Match Card

Chat on Discord!

Join the BrendenPlayz discord channel and chat with fellow members!
Join

BPZ vs Twitch on Total Extreme Wrestling!

Watch your very own wrestler come to life in the BPZ vs Twitch mod on Total Extreme Wrestling. How will your career fair when you are put against the very best in the BPZ Universe.
Watch Here

Extreme Rules

Discuss the upcoming WWE PPV, Extreme Rules!
Discuss Here
News Ticker
  • Survivor Series coming soon to BrendenPlayz
  • Create your own wrestling character and join all the fun in the "Kayfabe" section! Ask a moderator for more details
  • Watch your very own created wrestler be booked on the BPZ vs Twitch series! Available on BrendenPlayz' Twitch Channel
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
Arius

WWE Women's Tag Team Championship Discussion

Image result for wwe women's tag team championship

Here is a place to discuss the current champion, what you think of him, how you view the Women's Tag Team Championships and if you like the rivalry currently happening over it.

Current Champion: The IIconics (Billie Kay and Peyton Royce)
Former Champion: The Boss 'n' Hug Connection (Bayley and Sasha Banks)
Won At: Wrestlemania 35

Next Challengers: 

We have teams like Rose & Deville and Asuka & Kairi Sane (seriously where did they go?) waiting and i was sitting wondering who was going to step up to be the challengers and surprise to me it might be someone new.
This reign as fun as the champions themselves can be has been extremely uneventful so I'm glad to see the IIconics finally seemingly getting some sort of story on television now with Alexa Bliss & Nikki Cross on RAW because for a good while i was losing hope. The IIconics are a blast to watch in their backstage videos, especially the recent one where they were celebrating their reign as longest reigning WWE Women's Tag Team Champions. Stuff like that makes them a lot more endearing as characters and it's what i wish the company put on television more often instead of hoping some fans might see it online.

Seriously what in the hell are WWE doing with these titles? Like the Iiconics became longest reigning Champions and I don't even think they've defended them yet. I like the Iiconics but they need a proper title feud instead of randomly facing teams then either losing and the winners not getting a title shot or winning and then that just not happening. Like come on WWE you guys have time to do a bunch of 24/7 title angles just do one every show for the womens tag titles. 

I love that these titles exist but they’ve been kinda shit so far. In my opinion this is what I saw happening when they announced that this was happening as I just don’t think there’s enough depth in this division for titles to be needed, and it just feels they’ve forced some people together in order for this to try and work.

If your looking for the definition of a publicity stunt, you have it right here. Not only were WWE preaching about how great it is that the Women's Evolution is in full force but they gave the Women Tag-Titles to make them feel more prominent. Well these titles haven't done anything for anyone. I would say the IIconics benefited from it but they haven't, every time they appear on TV they lose and it completely devalues the championships. Sometimes I forget these titles exist and thats totally WWE's fault, they treat the titles like shit and no one will ever care about them 

So much could be done with these titles. As Julius said, a good portion of the women's evolution, including these titles, have been used as publicity stunts, but when it shows actual potential, they prove they never truly cared about it. They could have capitalized on this title ten times over, but they haven't. The IIconics, Absolution, The Kabuki Warriors, etc., there are so many talented teams, and yet the titles rarely show up. I know it's better to look at the positive side, but it's just so hard to not be pessimistic about these titles because, just like most of the roster, it's impossible to not imagine all the potential these titles could have.

The IICONICS have done nothing with the titles so far, which I'm so annoyed because they are so good together, but they have nothing for them to do, when was the last time The Women's Tag Team Championships been defended, like legit on IG, one of them said that they are the longest reigning Champs even tho they never defended, come on WWE. 

I think it's save to say that the potential of the Women's Tag Team Championships are yet to be realised. Having Bayley and Sasha Banks as the Inaugural champions was a good start, and making a surprise NXT appearance to announce that they would defend them anywhere, was a very surprising prospect. It would have really made the Women's Tag Titles an attraction as these floating championships. However, with their loss at Wrestlemania 35, Sasha Banks not being on TV for several months, and the IIconics now as the champions, it's not the brightest day for these titles. 

Let's look through the WWE payroll and look for some potential tandems that could make for potential Women's Tag Team Champions;

The Kabuki Warriors (Asuka and Kairi Sane)

Image result for Asuka and Kairi Sane

Cringe tag team name aside, from an in-ring perspective, you can't really ask for a stronger tag team than Asuka and Kairi Sane. Both having top quality women's matches in WWE's recent years (Sane vs. Baszler, Asuka vs. Charlotte, Asuka vs. Lynch etc). With Paige as their manager, that can cover the promo side and hopefully assist with the language barrier. Considering that WWE doesn't seem to want Asuka as a top singles champion, this tag team would be ideal to have a strong run with the tag titles. 

Also the rest of the women's division across all brands being able to work with Asuka and Kairi would be some huge experience for them.

Fire and Desire (Sonya Deville and Mandy Rose)

Image result for Mandy Rose and Sonya Deville

It's more of a case of when, rather than if for Fire and Desire. WWE clearly see big things in both Deville and Rose, gradually giving them bigger opportunities since their call ups, and both women have improved exponentially in the ring. There is a feeling that both Sonya and Mandy will be future women's champions, perhaps even multi-time women's champions as they climb up to the title scene, and then having held the Women's Tag Titles would be a strong device to call back to when they become singles stars.

Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross

Related image

Here is one of the more unorthodox pairing that seems to be forming in WWE. Ever since her call up to the main roster, Nikki Cross has not been given anything of note creatively, only recently gaining some notable screen time when seen with Alexa Bliss. It's a strange team as they seem to be babyface, however Alexa Bliss is most certainly a heel, having attacked Bayley on the most recent Smackdown. Perhaps this paring could become something, but at the moment, they feel like a temporary thing. While I like both women, I don't think they should win the Women's Tag Titles.

The Samoan Slaughterhouse (Nia Jax and Tamina)

Image result for Nia Jax and Tamina

Let's not beat around the bush, both of these women are not good in the ring, and neither can handle WWE's scripted promos well at all. Despite this, they are a large, imposing team that will very likely win the tag titles because it wouldn't be WWE without pushing the Samoans. However, with Nia Jax seemingly out with injury for the rest of the year, we won't see this team for quite a while.

Natalya and Beth Phoenix

Image result for Natalya and Beth Phoenix Wrestlemania 35

This teams chances of winning the titles is purely based on whether Beth Phoenix wishes to come back for more in-ring appearances. However if she did, I can see her and Natalya winning the tag titles in a heartbeat. Their potential tag title run probably would be a short one, but could provide a nice nostalgia moment. Also Natalya is continually an underrated member of the roster, and a veteran, she is definitely deserving of a tag title run.

Jessamyn Duke and Marina Shafir

Image result for Jessamyn Duke and Marina Shafir

Accompanied by Shayna Baszler and most likely Ronda Rousey in the future, these developmental talents could very easily be in WWE's sights as big players in the women's division. While still very green in the ring, their MMA backgrounds lend a lot of credibility, and as we've seen with Baszler and Rousey, shoot fighters can pick up pro wrestling pretty quick. While not a consideration now, Shafir and Duke could become synonymous with the Women's Tag Team Championships in future years to come. WWE do enjoy their faction warfare, provided that they can hold onto Sasha Banks, the Four Horsemen of WWE vs. The Four Horsewomen of MMA being fully realised as a feud on TV would be big money.

Jinny and Jazzy Gabert

Image result for Jinny and Jazzy Gabert

Now for a more out-of-the-box suggestion from me. I think the dynamic between Jinny and Gabert to be very interesting, with the imposing Gabert presented as muscle for hire, while Jinny is the scheming mastermind behind it all. If the Women's Tag Titles become a true floating championship, this is a tag team I would love to see get a shot, and maybe even win them (definitely not my NXT UK bias talking here....nooo....definitely not). This team presents a different challenge to most teams, as while Gabert is a dominant force, she is established to be motivated by payment from Jinny rather than any friendship, a true bounty hunter. This pairing is something that I think could work well for WWE if they play their cards right.

The Kabuki Warriors vs The IIconics in Tokyo. Finally some momentum. Though they are fighting for the chance to face for the championships at  a later date which is weird? I suppose since the event itself isn't going to be filmed in full that makes sense for the live crowd. All i can say is thank god. It's a shame how they've treated the Women's Tag-Team Championships. There's a lot of potential there. The Kabuki Warriors could have fantastic matches and really put the titles on the map, if the writers were invested in them or the titles. It might take AEW and their tag team division for WWE to start turning it around.

Vince McMahon has never much cared for tag team wrestling, nor the female competitors in his company. When you combine them and have those be somewhat major titles (looking at the whole "revolutionary" bullshit they keep trying to play), the "audience of one" Vince claims the writers write for certainly would be bored by the titles. Asuka and Kairi (I refuse to call them by their official name) have excellent potential, and deserve so much more than to sit wasting away amongst a barely used women's division. The IIconics calling themselves "defending" champions is laughable, almost so much that I hate them so much more (on a heel heat level, my unbridled hate for Lacey is quite different). The titles haven't been established, and just as I predicted, they likely won't be capitalised on because, when WWE does something to appease people that actually has potential (see Becky's reign), they fail to realise what they have because they never cared, and that is simply because Vince does not and will not ever care. I apologise if this sounds like a rinse-repeat of my last post, but I am at least excited to see the belts on TV. I am also excited for Asuka and Kairi v. The IIconics, the match is going to get eaten up by that Tokyo crowd.

Morale isn’t the best right now in WWE. We previously reported that a number of Superstars have already reached out to AEW. This might be damaging a lot of people’s mindsets down the card.

Brad Shepard reports that the WWE Women’s Tag Team Titles aren’t even being mentioned in meetings. This has brought some to suggest that they “might as well be defunct.”

On top of that, Daniel Bryan and Rowan are reportedly “pissed” because their momentum has been pretty much halted as well. Let’s just see how the Washington fans treat Bryan on Sunday.

The source continued, calling everything a mess at the moment. They said the women’s tag team titles might as well be defunct because they’re hardly ever brought up in meetings, Daniel Bryan and Erick Rowan are pissed because they’ve been in a standstill.

This is a bit troubling especially considering the fact that WWE reportedly wanted to put more of a focus on their tag team division. Even after introducing Women’s Tag Team Titles it hasn’t seemed to help much.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBradShepard/status/1142129838293245953 

A sad reality considering the potential that this division actually has if the teams that Kenji mentioned were utilised instead of the IIconics just being the champions and nothing more happening from there.

Wow this is just sad. Tag Team Wrestling is something that clearly Vince has stopped caring about since the mid 2000's and I think it's too late to change his mind.

The fact he keeps having workers disgruntled will end up biting him in the ass though because AEW is sure looking at any opportunity to add any talent and considering Peyton's RL Fiancee now works there I wouldn't be that suprised if the IIconics left at the end of there contract to join AEW.

Shepard has a shaky past of reporting but i'll bite. If it's true I can't say i'm surprised considering how active the championships were before a few weeks ago but The IIconics have been featured on both shows in some capacity and their interactions with Bliss/Cross on RAW it at least feels they are trying to turn it around. I hope they don't just drop the championships just because it would feel they never even tried to make it work.

The only way I think a women's tag championship would work is either you have 1 brand that they're on (see TNA's Old Knockout's Tag Team Championships) or they're on a Women's only brand. And... sadly, I don't think a Women's only brand would get great ratings. So with WWE trying to keep this championship on multiple brands, with all of these championships taking time and focus from the title, and these really odd rosters that kind of mean something but maybe not because of the wildcard rule. And then you have NXT and NXT UK as well. It's just too much. These belts aren't going to work in the WWE. It's a sad fact, but it's true.

WWE hasn’t given much of a focus to the WWE Women’s Tag Team Titles since WrestleMania. The IIconics have really seemed to enjoy their run with the titles though. Now they will have some competition that WWE isn’t bringing in as one-night enhancement talent.

Kairi Sane and Asuka were booked in a match against The IIconics in Tokyo. The stipulation was if they won the match then they will get an actual title opportunity. It looks like The Kabuki Warriors will get that chance because Sane and Asuka defeated Peyton Royce and Billie Kay.

The date for their upcoming WWE Women’s Tag Team Title match has yet to be revealed, but it could happen as early as next week if WWE wanted to rush it. With Extreme Rules coming up on July 14th that might also be a suitable place for that match.

We will have to just keep our eyes peeled for any movement in the WWE Women’s Tag Team Title picture from this point on. It looks like Paige being appointed as manager of Asuka and Kairi Sane might be paying off

I constantly keep forgetting these title even exist, because they are never defended on PPV and the champs aren't regulars on RAW and Smackdown. I like the IIconics as champs but if Kairi and Asuka do get the tag-title shot I don't think they should be losing. Maybe if the Kabuki Warriors can pick up the titles then maybe WWE will have a clean slate and start building up the division, because it is one of the worst in WWE if not the worst