BrendenPlayz Survivor Series

Survivor Series is coming soon to Universe Mode on BrendenPlayz. View the match card!
Match Card

Chat on Discord!

Join the BrendenPlayz discord channel and chat with fellow members!
Join

BPZ vs Twitch on Total Extreme Wrestling!

Watch your very own wrestler come to life in the BPZ vs Twitch mod on Total Extreme Wrestling. How will your career fair when you are put against the very best in the BPZ Universe.
Watch Here

Extreme Rules

Discuss the upcoming WWE PPV, Extreme Rules!
Discuss Here
News Ticker
  • Survivor Series coming soon to BrendenPlayz
  • Create your own wrestling character and join all the fun in the "Kayfabe" section! Ask a moderator for more details
  • Watch your very own created wrestler be booked on the BPZ vs Twitch series! Available on BrendenPlayz' Twitch Channel
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
Brad

John Cena On His Possible Retirement

John Cena recently spoke with TMZ and said he’s considered calling it quits on his WWE in-ring career.

Cena was asked about the Goldberg versus Undertaker match at Friday’s WWE Super Showdown event, which had seen some fans call for the two wrestlers to consider retirement.

Cena said that’s up to them, and it’s something he has considered himself, but at the end of the day it’s up to the individual to decide:

“I think an individual’s career is up to the individual. I think that’s pretty much the way I can describe that. I’ve been having the same conversation with myself and I’m only 42, but it’s something we’ve got to address each day. It’s individually specific, and when those people are ready to stop, they’ll stop.”

Cena was also asked about the news of being cast in the new Fast and Furious movie, which he called “an amazing opportunity.” He said an amazing set of circumstances brought him to the project, and said he’s the “grateful guy” when asked to tease his role in the new film. Cena’s love life also came up towards the end of the clip, but he remained quiet and said “there’s some of my business that stays my business.”

Check out the full video below:

WrestleZone.com

No matter what happens, it'll be a sad day when John Cena finally announces his retirement. Growing up he's been one of my favorite superstars of all time, his charisma, his look, his strength, and his incredible ability in the ring hooked me as a fan. To think he was 28 and I was seven when I started to watch him, starting from him winning the WWE Championship to being much older now and seeing him become a success in acting. Hopefully we get a few more matches, but above all else, thank you Cena for a legendary career. 

John Cena should retire because I feel so bad seeing him lose all the time.I remember when I started watching WWE in 2015, every time I saw a match of John Cena I feel so excited and nervous but since I came to know that WWE is scripted all that excitement and nervousness is gone. All that that feeling of joy when John Cena wins a match is gone but I would like to thank John Cena was for giving me all those excitement and joy.

To be honest it would be tough to see Cena go, the man is the reason I first got into wrestling in the first place and has entertained me most of my life. But everyone has to retire at some point in their life. If he does retire though I would love to see at least one more run maybe winning a world title beating Flairs record. Just hope he has a good send off if he decides to retire not a match like Kurt Angle's retirement match.

John Cena is WWE, so it’ll be sad to see him go. Of course when he does go it won’t be as hard to get used to since he’s slowly faded away over the last few years and although I’m going to miss him, WWE have great superstars that can carry the main event scene and fill that void. I do feel that before he retires he’ll get one last World Championship run so he can break that record and solidify himself as arguably the G.O.A.T

Ultimately it was a guy like Cena who brought a lot of kids in our generation to WWE because of his colourful T-Shirts, his inspirational slogans, his catchy theme tune and just his character pretty much being Superman defeating all the baddies. We can all try and hate Cena, say he buried talent but lets be honest when we were kids we all loved him and I have a huge amount of gratitude and respect for this man. Whether he does decide to hang em up anytime soon or he continues his Part-time status, Cena will forever be a legend in wrestling and the day he ultimately does retire will be a sad one for the industry 

John Cena seems like the kind of guy who will give it his all every time he's back, but is smart enough not to retire too late and hurt himself. So I wonder how much longer he really wants to go. Obviously here he is hinting at the thinking about it frequently but in his mind he probably has an idea. 
One thing it will depend on is his continued success in films keeping him from returning to the ring more than once or twice a year. At some point it might be benfiticial for him to not risk possible injury. It's crazy to think that in those final years when guys like Rollins, AJ, Owens came in. It rejuvenated his career being able to face new great opponents. Not to mention his US title open challenge was one of the best things he had done in quite some time.It's a shame it had to end while he was on a roll but i'm happy for his success. 

I will be sad to see Cena retire but on the other hand I am glad he will have the forseight to not keep wrestling into his 50's or 60's like some other Legends do. I remember following Cena's career ever since he was United States Champion on Smackdown the first time around back in 03/04 with the Doctor gimmick and I had the fortunate to see every single one of his 16 World Title Reigns alongside plentiful of memorable matches and moments.

And like Arius said the arrival of stars in the last years like Rollins, Owens, Nakamura, Zayn and Styles among others has helped extend his career further. I just hope we get to see some more matches out of him before he leaves for good. One particular encounter I am sure a lot of people here would love to see myself included is having him face Velveteen Dream.

I don't think people nowadays realise how instrumental John Cena was for WWE in this century. He became the top star of the company so quickly and ushered in a new group of young fans into the WWE by doing his thing on TV and being a somewhat superhero figure for them. I'd reckon Cena is close to being in the Mount Rushmore of WWE. If he is going to retire soon, I'd be devastated. I feel like he still has a lot in him to keep going, with his matches from only about 2 years ago show, but if he feels like it's time to step away then that's entirely up to him. Cena truly deserves a great send-off from the WWE for all the work and charity he's done for the company and I hope he gets it.

Cena has given a lot to the business and will for sure go down as if not one of the all time greats one of the most divisive figures in wrestling. I think he should have one more short run in the WWE culminating with a retirement feud with him either passing the torch to somebody or simply just putting someone over as a future top star in the industry. Cena has done so much for the business and when he does retire there is a 100% guarantee he has earned his hall of fame spot and for better or for worse will be remembered in the industry as the top star of an era that may not be as influential as other previous but still defined the company during that time. 

It's gonna be pretty bittersweet if he does retire.

It's sort of a shame i think that he is now a movie star that's bound to get jobs left right and center. Don't get me wrong I'm happy for the guy but this man I feel like is a smart man who knows the business inside and out. He knows how to promote the company with his extended set of skills and knowledge and having him be a part of the WWE staff would be very exciting. Just imagine Cena in a position like HHH is at rn and help build an actually entertaining content to us. Would LOVE for him to once again be an active on-screen figure like an authority figure or something because having John Freaking Cena, Mr. Charisma himself "leading" the company would look awesome.

But like I said, he's probably going to be happier doing Hollywood until he eventually retires. Hope I'm wrong though.

I kinda saw this coming from a mile away Imo, legit ever since he started to get better at acting and people started liking him more, I knew he was gonna be involved more in Hollywood then he was in WWE and if he is actually gonna retire, then far enough. He has done a lot in WWE, he was the Main guy for a decade and hopefully he can be on the level of The Rock and Batista 

Continuing on this subject of Cena and his future retirmenent. During a recent interview with Sports Illustrated, Cena spoke openly about his future and discussed some directions that he could go in with the company. 

“I have a good perspective of the product,” said Cena. “The product is very performance-based. I’ve never been the most orthodox performer. I’ve been able to take an honest assessment of myself, and there is nothing wrong with admitting, ‘Hey, I’m not sure I can perform at the level I used to.’ I want to be confident in every performance.

“I’m not sure what my role is, but I know WWE is my family and, as long as they’ll have me, I’ll never leave. Heck, I’ll go coach in Orlando [at the WWE Performance Center]. It would be so shameful for that experience and performance wisdom to go to no one. Whether I had the opportunity to do Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? Or Fast and the Furious, or if I had none of that going on and I just had idle time, I would be having the same conversation with myself. I need to define what my new role is. That’s the conversation I’m having with myself at 42 after performing for 16 years straight.”

As Cena's film career continues to possibly grow it is nice to see him still thinking about his role in WWE alongside that long term. Of course The Rock said the same thing at one point about WWE being his home and the entertainment industry took up all his attention. Nothing against him for making that decision but time is in small quantity. 
That aside the idea of him once he finally hangs up his boots, when he doesn't have a match in him anymore (maybe even before that) coming down to the Performance Centre when he has the time is a great thought. Having one of the top stars passing on his knowledge working the WWE schedule and style for all those years as Cena said is valuable and should be put to good use. I'd hope to see it one day. 

I really can't see Cena "retiring" for a while still, taking on more of a Rock like role when he will be willing to turn up for the big money match and to hit fans with the nostalgia feels. I'll always respect what Cena has done for the industry, imo he went from a dry patch between 08-11 but in recent years has really put in some top tier performances against the likes of Punk and Styles; it just doesn't feel the same without him.

I really don't want to see this happen.  Cena has been such an influential figure in WWE history and seeing him go will be one of the saddest days in the companies history.  He's still in great shape, and I think he could still go for at least 5 more years.  I'd love to see him break Flair's record and become a 17 time world champion.  After all, there aren't many other candidates who deserve that.