BrendenPlayz Survivor Series

Survivor Series is coming soon to Universe Mode on BrendenPlayz. View the match card!
Match Card

Chat on Discord!

Join the BrendenPlayz discord channel and chat with fellow members!
Join

BPZ vs Twitch on Total Extreme Wrestling!

Watch your very own wrestler come to life in the BPZ vs Twitch mod on Total Extreme Wrestling. How will your career fair when you are put against the very best in the BPZ Universe.
Watch Here

Extreme Rules

Discuss the upcoming WWE PPV, Extreme Rules!
Discuss Here
News Ticker
  • Survivor Series coming soon to BrendenPlayz
  • Create your own wrestling character and join all the fun in the "Kayfabe" section! Ask a moderator for more details
  • Watch your very own created wrestler be booked on the BPZ vs Twitch series! Available on BrendenPlayz' Twitch Channel
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
Sign in to follow this  
"The Crippler" Jay

Aleister Black Call Up A Last Minute Decision

Black was quick to admit his time in NXT was short. And, as short as his time there seemed, the notice of his call up was that much shorter.

"I wasn't scheduled to be called up. It was a last minute decision," said Black. "I was just done (with a workout) and it was 11:30 and I didn't have to be at the live event until 1:00. So, I was just going to take a 45-minute nap. I had my phone by me, and my phone starts to go off and its coach Bloom. He said, 'I have some news for you' and as a joke, I said ' you are firing me'. And he said, 'Something like that, this Sunday your flying to Tennessee (so the debut could be kept a secret) and this Monday you make your debut on Raw and Tuesday on SmackDown."

Per Black himself, on the Celtic Warrior Workouts episode 81 with Sheamus and Black. Transcript by Wrestling Inc.

I don't understand the scramble to call him up. Maybe since he had been exposed to the main roster audience with a WrestleMania match, maybe Vince fell in love with him when they and DIY went up for a short period of time. Aleister could have used a bit more time in NXT for one last feud, and to stay down until the roster chaos was situated after the Superstar Shakeup.

All four of those callups during that time felt rushed and a little weird, especially with Triple H just coming out and saying that these guys are now officially on the Main Roster. In my opinion I think WWE were trying to "shake things up" by having them randomly appear as a last minute decision which is why they were then put into tag-teams without any real storylines. It's good to finally get clarity on what actually happened 

I think this was evident from the start with how the call ups were handled. In the process of talks about WWE looking to rock their current booking the usual bandiad is calling up new talent usually without a solid plan as to what to do with them. Luckily for Black compared to other talents it seems since moving to Smackdown permanently they might have a push and plan in place for him which i'm interested in seeing. 

On a side note i'd recommend actually going to watch the full video on the Celtic Warrior Workouts Youtube page because Aleister Black goes through a lengthy story about how he got into wrestling and his journey to WWE. The conversations Sheamus finds himself in with the guests of the show, especially the wrestling oriented guests keep me subscribed. A lot more laid back than some podcasts. The recent Batista episode was good as well. 

It did feel somewhat rushed when they brought Aleister, Ricochet, Gargano and Ciampa up all at the same time especially considering when they had already previously announced six other NXT Superstars would be making their debuts on the Main Roster literally weeks before this. It did make sense to bring up Aleister around this point though since he had pretty much done everything there was to do in NXT since after he lost the NXT Championship to Ciampa he was struggling for storylines somewhat. His current positioning looks interesting especially with who his rumoured first opponent is. 

As mentioned above, pretty much all of the call ups from Survivor Series to Mania have really felt disjointed, mishandled or oddly timed, Aleister Black being one of them. Particularly when Aleister Black, Ricochet and DIY, where they suddenly appeared with little fanfare, while being in the middle of NXT Storylines. 

Also given how Black and Ricochet lost 3 Tag Title Match for three different Tag Team Championships in the same week (Wrestlemania week) is a testament to WWE really just throwing them into matches for the sake of it.

Meanwhile Aleister Black has been referred to as "Moody" by Michael Cole, oh joy. As well as adding a strange creaking door sound effect to his entrance, something that it really didn't need.

I'm assuming that these call ups were a knee-jerk reaction to the fall in ratings, along with the tag team divisions being especially dead, needing even the slightest injection of something to not sink.

I didn't think that Aleister Black was called up too early. I thought his match at NXT Takeover: Phoenix against Tommaso Ciampa was a perfect send off and him teaming up with Ricochet against the Viking Raiders at NXT Takeover: New York was also a great send off, I might even argue that the Tag Team match was a bit unnecessary for Black as The Forgotten Sons could have won the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic and benefited from the big match for the NXT Tag Team Championship.

It was quite early for all four of them to move up, the annoying part was Vince didn't even know the storylines to Ciampa and Gargano, nearly ruining the feud, the other part was Ciampa being injured, but Aleister should be good, he needs to become the savior with Wyatt, destroying every one and actually being a Contender to a title. 

12 hours ago, Gwynfro said:

As mentioned above, pretty much all of the call ups from Survivor Series to Mania have really felt disjointed, mishandled or oddly timed, Aleister Black being one of them. Particularly when Aleister Black, Ricochet and DIY, where they suddenly appeared with little fanfare, while being in the middle of NXT Storylines. 

Also given how Black and Ricochet lost 3 Tag Title Match for three different Tag Team Championships in the same week (Wrestlemania week) is a testament to WWE really just throwing them into matches for the sake of it.

Meanwhile Aleister Black has been referred to as "Moody" by Michael Cole, oh joy. As well as adding a strange creaking door sound effect to his entrance, something that it really didn't need.

I'm assuming that these call ups were a knee-jerk reaction to the fall in ratings, along with the tag team divisions being especially dead, needing even the slightest injection of something to not sink.

I had suppressed the sound effect entrance perfectly until now. I still can't believe they did that to the entrance. Though in my opinion the entrance doesn't look as nice as it did in NXT, maybe because of the stage chance the sound effect was just icing on the cake. Also the bullet sound at the start of Ricochets entrance. Sometimes playing these changes for themselves might be a wise first move. 
What do you think of their current directions since they went their separate ways? 

12 minutes ago, Arius said:

I had suppressed the sound effect entrance perfectly until now. I still can't believe they did that to the entrance. Though in my opinion the entrance doesn't look as nice as it did in NXT, maybe because of the stage chance the sound effect was just icing on the cake. Also the bullet sound at the start of Ricochets entrance. Sometimes playing these changes for themselves might be a wise first move. 
What do you think of their current directions since they went their separate ways? 

Well, Ricochet getting into a feud with Cesaro and potentially competing for the United States title is a start, but we'll have to see how successful he is. Aleister has had great promos, and I'm excited to see his first feud.