BrendenPlayz Survivor Series

Survivor Series is coming soon to Universe Mode on BrendenPlayz. View the match card!
Match Card

Chat on Discord!

Join the BrendenPlayz discord channel and chat with fellow members!
Join

BPZ vs Twitch on Total Extreme Wrestling!

Watch your very own wrestler come to life in the BPZ vs Twitch mod on Total Extreme Wrestling. How will your career fair when you are put against the very best in the BPZ Universe.
Watch Here

Extreme Rules

Discuss the upcoming WWE PPV, Extreme Rules!
Discuss Here
News Ticker
  • Survivor Series coming soon to BrendenPlayz
  • Create your own wrestling character and join all the fun in the "Kayfabe" section! Ask a moderator for more details
  • Watch your very own created wrestler be booked on the BPZ vs Twitch series! Available on BrendenPlayz' Twitch Channel
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
Sign in to follow this  
Arius

Tony Khan reveals AEW will hold a tag team tournament when they start on TNT

Image result for tony khan aew

From the jump, All Elite Wrestling stated that there would be a heavy focus on tag team wrestling. With The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) serving as two of four Executive Vice Presidents, an emphasis was always going to be put on tag team wrestling. The Bucks worked the co-main event of AEW Double or Nothing, taking on The Lucha Bros (Pentagon Jr. and Fenix) in one of the best tag team bouts of the year.

Speaking on the Steve Austin Show, AEW President Tony Khan revealed his plans for tag team wrestling once AEW starts on TNT in the fall.

"We're going to establish a great tag team division. When we launch our weekly television show in the fall, we're going to be doing a tag team tournament that's going to have some of the greatest tag team matches ever on TV. It's going to be a main focus of our TV. There will be teams competing to get a first-round bye in that tournament, which is a big deal. We'll have some of the best tag teams in wrestling competing for our Tag Team Championships coming up in the fall."

It's unknown when AEW will start on TNT as a premiere date has yet to be announced. Tag team wrestling will continue to play a prominent role in AEW as they build towards their TNT premiere as The Young Bucks vs. Cody & Dustin Rhodes could headline their July event Fight for the Fallen.

The question is how many more teams will they need to add to run a tournament? They have the Bucks, Lucha Bros, Best Friends, SoCal, that team with CIMA, and that's about it, I would think. Will they be making more signings, potentially of disgruntled tag teams from WWE or Impact? Or will their potential partnership with NJPW bring about stables such as the Bullet Club or Suzuki-gun?

Since there are going to be first round byes, I would assume the tournament would either be 6 teams or 12 teams. The locks would prob be The Young Bucks, The Addiction, Rhodes Brothers, The Lucha Bros, The Best Friends, and I guess Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus? I think they'll do 12 so they can add in StrongHearts, Jack Evans & Angelico, The Super Smash Bros (now known as The Dark Order), and by then Gallows & Anderson, whose WWE contracts will be up in September, will possibly be in AEW. And then I guess slap together 2 more teams and you got yourself a tournament. That sounds like fun.

They have gained themselves a good tag team division in the making and i'm happy to see they are going to go full force out of the gate with showcasing them. The biggest example of this working is the NWA resurrecting the Crockett Cup and that did not disappoint. Some enjoyable tag team wrestling with not overly long matches and some classic story telling thrown in. Headlined by a great singles match too. What's not to love? It will be interesting to see if this tournament crowns just the inaugural champions or if the prize is also a trophy to kickstart making it annual. 

It's sad that WWE are using the Dusty Rhodes name for their tag tournament because it would have felt so right to have a Dusty Rhodes classic every year during the fall.

My way to early prediction will be SCU defeating The Bucks in the final with the Dark Order (SuperSmash Bros) cost the match so we have two big feud in the tag division for the start

I think an 8 team tournament is what this needs to be and looking at the AEW roster, they certainly have enough teams to make a tournament. I think the Young Bucks or SCU might be the locks to win the tournament just because of their name value but I wouldn't be against seeing Cody and Dustin hold the titles first making for a really nice story. They have said on numerous occasions that the emphasis will be on Tag-Team wrestling and hopefully through this tournament some of the lesser known teams like The Dark Order and Private Party can get a chance to show off their skills 

I want SoCal to win, even though I think they might go for the Lucha Bros. The Bucks and Rhodes Brothers both seem too obvious, as they are the EVPs and just like Kenny let Jericho go over, I think the other EVPs will do just the same. I think the match at Fight For The Fallen between the Bucks and Rhodes Brothers will indicate if the company has big plans for Cody and Dustin. I think SoCal would be best because Christopher Daniels is getting older. One of the best in-ring hands to stay on the independents, he deserved way more than he had achieved in his career, and with age not on his side it would be best to give him a title run before it's too late.

On 6/19/2019 at 12:00 PM, The Crippler said:

I think SoCal would be best because Christopher Daniels is getting older. One of the best in-ring hands to stay on the independents, he deserved way more than he had achieved in his career, and with age not on his side it would be best to give him a title run before it's too late.

One of the takeaways from Double or Nothing for myself is that if this was TEW that Daniels is in decline. Maybe it was just an off night for him but i felt he was the weakest member of the match they had at the event so i agree that they should definitely look to capitalise on using Daniels sooner rather than later depending on the combination they use for the tournament. If they decided to let Kaz/Sky being the team for the tournament that wouldn't be a bad choice either.

18 minutes ago, Arius said:

One of the takeaways from Double or Nothing for myself is that if this was TEW that Daniels is in decline. Maybe it was just an off night for him but i felt he was the weakest member of the match they had at the event so i agree that they should definitely look to capitalise on using Daniels sooner rather than later depending on the combination they use for the tournament. If they decided to let Kaz/Sky being the team for the tournament that wouldn't be a bad choice either.

I feel I could certainly agree with that, Daniels certainly is the mouthpiece of the group and as such, I think he would be best in a managerial position when compared to Scorpio and Kazarian. However, Daniels likely still has 1 title reign left in him, and even once he's done with in ring work, again he'd be an excellent manager for Kazarian and Sky, as well as an excellent producer for the matches between smaller guys, or the guys with styles similar to his own, as he was an incredible ring general in his prime, to use TEW terms.