BrendenPlayz NXT Takeover XIII

NXT Takeover XIII is coming soon to Universe Mode on BrendenPlayz.
Coming Soon

Chat on Discord!

Join the BrendenPlayz discord channel and chat with fellow members!
Join

Clash of Champions

Every title is on the line at WWE Clash of Champions! Discuss the event here.
Discuss Here

BPZ vs Twitch on Total Extreme Wrestling!

Watch your very own wrestler come to life in the BPZ vs Twitch mod on Total Extreme Wrestling. How will your career fair when you are put against the very best in the BPZ Universe.
Watch Here
News Ticker
  • Survivor Series coming soon to BrendenPlayz
  • Create your own wrestling character and join all the fun in the "Kayfabe" section! Ask a moderator for more details
  • Watch your very own created wrestler be booked on the BPZ vs Twitch series! Available on BrendenPlayz' Twitch Channel
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
Arius

WWE names Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff Executive Directors of Raw and SmackDown LIVE

image.png

WWE has named Paul Heyman as Executive Director of Monday Night Raw and Eric Bischoff as Executive Director of SmackDown LIVE, newly created positions reporting directly to WWE Chairman & CEO Vince McMahon.

In their executive roles, Heyman and Bischoff will oversee the creative development of WWE’s flagship programming and ensure integration across all platforms and lines of business. The creation of these roles further establishes WWE’s ability to continuously reinvent its global brand while providing two distinct creative processes for its flagship shows.

With more than 30 years of experience in the sports-entertainment industry, Heyman served as President of ECW from 1993 to 2001, securing pay-per-view distribution for the company as well as a national cable television deal with TNN. After his time with ECW, Heyman joined WWE’s Creative team and is widely credited with helping launch the careers of many current and former WWE Superstars.

Bischoff is a former WCW President and New York Times bestselling author. During his WCW career, Bischoff oversaw the signing of some of the biggest names in sports-entertainment and helped create and develop the nWo storyline. He was also instrumental in securing a television deal for WCW Monday Nitro on TNT and WCW Thunder on TBS. After WCW, Bischoff co-founded Bischoff-Hervey Entertainment, a production company that launched TV reality shows and mobile games.

PWInsider: More on Heyman and Bischoff’s New WWE Roles

The announcement today that Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff have signed on with WWE to become Executive Directors of the Raw and Smackdown brands is a legitimate announcement, not a storyline situation.

WWE has been pursuing Heyman to come on officially in their corporate circles as far back as February, PWInsider.com can exclusively confirm.  An offer was issued to Heyman to come on board full-time as a top member of the creative team around the same time Bruce Prichard was brought back as a Senior Vice President.  Heyman had been working on certain storylines and with certain talents, including Ronda Rousey, Brock Lesnars and others dating back far before then.  He's been in the inner circle when it comes to the creative process for some time without an official title.  He and WWE have been circling around this deal for a long time.

The Eric Bischoff deal came together within the last several weeks.  Bischoff has been working on pre-production of the planned Netflix Hulk Hogan biography film and had a slew of personal appearances booked.  Over the last week, he quietly began canceling those appearance dates, so that is likely when he came to official terms with WWE.  We are told he will be working directly with FOX as WWE builds their relationship with Smackdown's new home.  To say this is a massive return to form for Bischoff is a grand understatement.  We are told that WWE approached him about the role and that his previous work in collaborating with Turner Broadcasting. Spike and other networks in building past TV series was one of the reasons Bischoff was pitched for the role.

We are told that they will be overseeing all aspects of their individual series, answering directly to Vince McMahon.  They are now the top of the pyramid, respectively, for Raw and Smackdown.   Heyman is expected to continue his role as Brock Lesnar's advocate.  There is no word yet whether Bischoff will appear on camera, but given how good of a performer he is, one would think it's just a matter of time.

Regarding as Eric Bischoff’s new. executive role with the Smackdown brand, PWInsider.com reports that the deal was made within the past few weeks. PWI noted the following: 

”We are told that WWE approached him about the role and that his previous work in collaborating with Turner Broadcasting. Spike and other networks in building past TV series was one of the reasons Bischoff was pitched for the position.” 

It’s said that Bischoff will be working directly with Fox Network. 

Regarding Paul Heyman’s creative role with RAW, PWI noted that WWE had been pursuing Heyman as early as February. Heyman will continue his television role as Brock Lesnar’s advocate. 

PWI added that ”one WWE source compared their roles to Paul Levesque's in NXT in that they will be in charge, but it's still Vince's company.” 

So here we go. Bischoff and Heyman with similar roles to Triple H in NXT? Well this is the power that they need. Unfortunately, Vince will still be that final hurdle. But I gotta say, this might be the move that saves WWE from a point of no return. Heyman has a proven record of getting the best out of his talents. He shines their strenghts and hides their weakness. Plus, he will identify the best workers and highlight them. His run on Smackdown was emaculate. ECW had a cult following for a reason.

Bischoff is the wildcard. I believe television wise, he will enhance the overall presentation. He will communicate with network executives well and satisfy those areas. But creatively, can he offer much? I don't know. I like him involved but I don't think he could "change the game" like Heyman can. Time will tell if we truly see much change because chances are, Monday and Tuesday we will see it. In three months time we can revisit and compare the two brands and truly see who's the better. A bit of in house competition perhaps.

For the love of god, REDRAFT the rosters. The wildcard is stupid, get rid of it and just start fresh with new rosters. Hit the reset button and go in a new direction, its the best course of action.

Like Brenden says this is a big opportunity to hit the reset button and start brand anew. Heyman will be a god send when it comes to Creative while Bischoff is one of the biggest minds when it comes to dealing with Networks, hopefully though Bischoff decides to put someone like Ryan Ward on his team who could work wonders on the Creative side.

This is a huge deal on all fronts. People have been wanting to hear some positive WWE news for various reasons. Hearing barely a couple thousand fans showed up for Tuesday's Smackdown is crazy and WWE and Vince must know they need to make more than a few changes in reaction. 
Both men are surprises. I mean Heyman once rejected TNA because he didn't think they were ready for him. He was going to push all the old guys out the door and focus on the young guys. This is a deal that was financially very lucrative and he said no. For Paul Heyman to decide that whatever Vince was offering him was good enough to travel to TV every week, it must have been seriously appealing. Heyman has a great creative mind and can definitely work with whatever he has. 
Bischoff on the other hand obviously has experience in wrestling and media. I think recently he was working with Netflix on a project. It was reported he will be working closely with FOX in the future so with both shows on different Networks it will be interesting to see how each approach their show.

I agree with Brenden that i hope what follows is a hard reset on what they have been doing these past few months with the Wild Card. Even going as far as to present a live draft across Raw and Smackdown would be exciting to see.I wonder if this Raw & Smackdown we'll see the signs of the changes they will be bringing to the product or if it will be post-Extreme Rules where the tides will turn. Maybe i'm overthinking what could happen with those two having power within the company now. All i know is that i'm excited to find out.

Imagine telling a wrestling fan 20 years ago that both Bischoff and Heyman are going to be running WWE, insane news. Huge way to reset everything that has gone with the wildcard rule and hopefully bring some good storylines and directions. Heyman is a creative genius and Bishoff is the one I'm a little worried about it but I'm optimistic.

I'm a bit confused on the placement of each executive. Bischoff manned the ship that was WCW and was the (credited) mind behind the new World order, so soap opera wrestling is familiar to him. Heyman also would be better in a more wrestling centric show like the new FOX SmackDown is expected to be. Either way, both heading a brand is certainly a step in the right direction, and with Extreme Rules up next, Heyman's starting out in his comfort zone, so now more than ever is the time to flip. the. switch. Redraft everybody, give them who they need to increase ratings.

We needed a change to the WWE hierarchical structure and the way that WWE runs its creative process and I am hoping that this is that much needed change. Heyman and Bischoff are both very creatively minded people and definitely know how to put on a good product just look at their work pre-WWE and even Heyman in WWE producing pretty much all of Ronda and Brock's segments. What I'm interested in is if the Wildcard rule is still going to be a thing because announcing Heyman and Bischoff as executive directors of both Raw and Smackdown means that the brand split will continue. I think as Brenden pointed out, do a complete redraft of the rosters and start fresh 

There is belief that certain former WWE talents that were formerly with TNA aren't understanding why WWE is bringing back Eric Bischoff in a creative role. Here is Dave Meltzer of F4WOnline.com noted about the situation courtesy of RingsideNews.com: 

“You know there’s a lot of people who were in TNA that are in WWE — to say that they’re baffled is the understatement of the year. I mean they’re just like rolling their eyes, I mean none of them had a clue either. I mean they can’t even believe it.” 

“They’re like, ‘How can someone be so out of touch’ and the thing was and I’ve heard this from a lot of people: ‘Vince really doesn’t know anything about wrestling outside of WWE — AT ALL!’ I mean that’s kinda the conclusion and I’m not just talking about ex TNA guys in that company. I mean that’s been the consensus of people in and around that company across the board. ‘Wow, we know he doesn’t follow wrestling and he doesn’t watch wrestling, but he doesn’t know anything about wrestling anymore outside of his walls.'” 

Source: NoDQ

No surprise to hear some push back. Bischoff ultimately failed to elevate TNA and lets be honest he helped bring the company down to the ground. Heyman I think is a sure thing but Bischoff could be truly hit or miss. Does he have a fresh take? Doubt it. What can he possibly bring to the table that will save the brand? I really don't know. An open check book won't really help in this case. He has to get these talents over, something he failed to do years ago. 

Reading this update it just dawned on me just how many former TNA employees are working in the ring, behind the scenes, in NXT all right now. Even the former owner is a producer for the company. They could form a weekly hour show  if they wanted to at this point (not saying they should, please no)
I can understand the worry of those behind the scenes considering the negative experiences they might've had working amongst the disaster in the middle of the Bischoff/Hogan TNA era. They had finally escaped to company with its own issues but more stable, less chaotic and then wake up to find Eric has followed them.
Eric has some of the blame to hold but at the same time TNA's management style was in a spiral of disaster outside of him.  I remember hearing that Prichard was looking to move Impact outside of the Impact Zone and that suggestion ended up resulting in "Let's go head to head with RAW!"
I can only hope that Eric while having his influence also recognises those working under him. Bischoff was always a television man first and a wrestling man second. It's what he has fallen back on when his time in wrestling came to a break and it's what got him into wrestling to begin with. Hopefully he is able to prove their worries wrong or we'll have another podcast centred around Eric's mishaps in 10 years.

It seems on paper like this is a good thing but I don't want to get my hopes up too quickly. The WWE always find a way to screw up things that should be great. And lets not forget how both Heyman and Bischoff have been key figures involved in companies that have lost a lot of money. So for this to work you need Heyman and Bischoff to control things in the ring, and get others to control finances.

Paul Heyman talks about the booking of Smackdown in 2002 during his run as a lead writer.

Listening to this again I'm again really confident in Heyman as the creative leader of Raw as long as Vince respects his decisions (big IF). Can’t help but think what Heyman could do if he gets his hands on guys like EC3. Maybe Gable might move back and forth between 205 Live now even though he just made his debut, Heyman working him could beneficial. 
I'd recommend the full podcast. It was one of the most enjoyable episodes I've listened to. Three likeable guys cracking jokes and talking about wrestling. Heyman is really eloquent whenever I hear him interviewed, and he always reveals something new or interesting.

Update: More Details On Why Triple H Maybe Did Not Take Executive Director Role For RAW or Smackdown
Triple H WWE Hall of Fame

Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff were named the executive directors of RAW and Smackdown last week, respectively, which means they will be in charge creatively and answer only to Vince McMahon. There were conflicting reports over whether or not Triple H turned down the job on the Smackdown side before it was given to Bischoff. In the latest edition of Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer weighed in on the situation and spoke about why Triple H may not have been given an Executive Director role.

Meltzer said that it was “very telling” that they didn’t go with Triple H, because he knows the product and the talent better than anyone. He added that with Triple H becoming the successor of WWE eventually, there was a fear that if he failed with Smackdown publicly, particularly with the upcoming move to FOX, it would look bad. So by not giving him the job, it was protecting him in a way.

It also mentioned that people looked at Triple H as the most likely candidate due to his knowledge of the wrestlers and the business, as well as the fact that he’s able to produce shows (with NXT) that get over with modern audiences instead of shows that are based on the wrestling he liked or wrestling that was over twenty years ago.

Jon Moxleys thoughts on this topic 

In an interview with The Store Horsemen, AEW star Jon Moxley commented on Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff's new executive director roles for WWE: 

“They definitely made some kind of move. Paul Heyman is really smart it sounds like that is a great idea. I just hope Vince letsthem do their ideas. It’s not just ‘I made him head of creative, but I’m telling him what to do type of thing.’ 

“Eric Bischoff was behind the NWO, he also presided over some crappy WCW shows. He is probably pretty motivated to make you forget that part of the resume. The more wrestling that is good, the more fans that there are and the better it is for everybody.” 

Moxley also commented on AEW being competition for WWE: 

"This is not the Monday Night Wars. It would be a fool's errand to try and take them down, it wouldn't be good for the wrestling business to try and take them down. We are providing a good alternative, showing that there is a world outside of that.

The biggest issue with having Heyman and Bischoff as executive directors is if they are really going to be allowed to do their job and not just be glorified Yes men to Vince. As Mox said both have great creative minds but none of it will matter if Vince is still the one who makes the same decisions as he has been doing for a while now. On this AEW competition thing, smashing a throne in reference to Triple H, making many comments about WWE programming definitely sounds like they are competing. If it's only an alternative why bring it up then. You don't see Impact constantly referencing WWE all the time

Sometimes i wonder if Moxley and Cody are on the same page with their views for the company but it's an interesting comment nonetheless. Especially after the jabs AEW try to put into their product. In the end if AEW are able to present the most successful and popular alternative to WWE in a long time, they can point to these "non-declaration" declarations of war on their retrospectives year later, as a moment of AEW calling its shot against WWE.  But if they never do reach high enough to come to the fight, or even in the same building, they can always fall back on wanting to present a mere alternative rather than hoping to compete. AEW is playing both sides of the coin because they can and it protects them. It's helping them as well as the intrigue both sides of the wrestling fan.

Now that I have seen the reason that they didn't give Triple H a brand. I feel like this is a smart move from the WWE. Protecting the potential next owner of the company. The move may also motivate some wrestlers who have seent he work of Heyman and Bischoff, making them more determined to train harder and put on better matches in the ring.

There is a belief that WWE has many of their storylines planned months in advance, but according to a report by WrestleVotes, SummerSlam could be changed in order to fit in with Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff's visions for their brands.

According to a report by WrestleVotes, all of the plans for SummerSlam right now are subject to change. This means that when Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoffactually take over their roles on Raw and SmackDown this upcoming week, they can make any necessary changes needed to next month's show.

Whilst it's great that Vince McMahon is being open-minded by allowing this to be booked so late, it's quite worrying since there is only a month left until The Biggest Party of the Summer and that may not be enough time to build believable feuds

This could be huge 

It's definitely a very exciting and interesting time to be a wrestling fan. If the rumors are true than it actually sounds like Vince may just let Heyman and Bischoff do their own thing. The fact that all the plans for Summerlslam, and even plans after that could be completely scrapped is crazy. I don't expect to see too much changes straight away though, I can't see them completely wiping out all of the current feuds anyways. This is a massive risk if it does turn out that Heyman and Bischoff are actually allowed free roam over both of their shows. This could either be really good or really bad but it definitely has me excited about the future of WWE and wrestling as a whole. 

Cornette was talking about this on his Podcast. Basically signing up to do this commits Bischoff to around 150 hotel nights per year. He was saying that at his age, that alone is a soul-grinding amount of travel before you even attend a meeting or do a second of actual work. You would hope going through all that he would be guaranteed some level of control of the product. Either that or he must really want this job  to commit to that lifestyle again or other reasons. Regardless i can't wait until after Extreme Rules to see what direction they might go on. I know Bischoff can't get rid of the Wildcard Rule probably but just story direction will be interesting.