BrendenPlayz Survivor Series

Survivor Series is coming soon to Universe Mode on BrendenPlayz. View the match card!
Match Card

Chat on Discord!

Join the BrendenPlayz discord channel and chat with fellow members!
Join

BPZ vs Twitch on Total Extreme Wrestling!

Watch your very own wrestler come to life in the BPZ vs Twitch mod on Total Extreme Wrestling. How will your career fair when you are put against the very best in the BPZ Universe.
Watch Here

Extreme Rules

Discuss the upcoming WWE PPV, Extreme Rules!
Discuss Here
News Ticker
  • Survivor Series coming soon to BrendenPlayz
  • Create your own wrestling character and join all the fun in the "Kayfabe" section! Ask a moderator for more details
  • Watch your very own created wrestler be booked on the BPZ vs Twitch series! Available on BrendenPlayz' Twitch Channel
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
Sign in to follow this  
Yelich

Unprotected Chair Shots To The Head - Yay or Nay?

Last night at Fyter Fest Cody got hit in the noggin with an unprotected chair shot to the head by Shawn Spears making him bleed quite a bit. First thing's first, Cody got a few stitches and did not have a concussion, thank god he was okay, the health and well-being of the wrestlers matter more than any conversation. But the conversation still matters, I've heard people from both camps bring in their comments and opinions on this with some people saying that they loved this moment and that is was awesome and it got real heat onto Spears and starts a really interesting feud. I've also heard some people say they really hated this, and that this was horrifying, grotesque, and with all of the stuff we know about CTE and Concussions now (which the commentators played into) they should be banned outright in AEW. I also heard that the chair shot was bad not because the actual thing was bad but that it took away from Allin vs Cody, which should've been a star-making performance for Allin. And while it was I feel it got overshadowed by this moment.

Anyways, in general, do you guys think unprotected chair shots to the head should stick around in AEW and be something that occurs every once in awhile, or should they be banned outright? I'm personally in the second camp because of all the stuff we know about Concussions and CTE nowadays, really makes stuff like that tough to watch, though I will be honestly in the moment of the chair shot, watching it live, I marked out. But that's just my opinion, I'd love to hear everyone else's.

10000000% Nay. Never should a chairshot be used just because of how damaging it can be. I know wrestlers protect using their hands to reduce the contact to their heads. But still what if they don't do it in time. What if once out of nowhere the guy receiving the shot collapses to the ground out of nowhere. The injuries that can be caused from a chairshot to the head could be career ending and life threatening. And the danger they bring is far too severe for them to be used in wrestling.

In 2019 with all the research of concussions in not just wrestling but all sports it's a huge no no and it's disappointing that in an attempt to try be unique AEW did something so careless. It won't exactly but them in a great light in terms of PR either, I hope they don't do it again honestly it's not worth it at all.

They definitely got the reaction they were looking for and they knew what they were doing by having Cody take an unprotected chair shot. It had everyone in shock and a lot of people are clearly talking about it. But I don't think it should be a regular thing. It works once due to the impact of the shock but if it becomes a regular occurrence it just doesn't carry the same weight if you start doing hundreds of times over and it's way too dangerous to be doing on a regular basis anyways. I liked it here because it felt real and made the moment feel bigger, but it shouldn't happen again.

Absolutely not. We're far more knowledgeable about the consequences in 2019 then we were in the 90s, and the long term damage caused by these things should not be brushed off or ignored. Sure, wrestling is inherently a dangerous profession to be in, as we saw with madmen like Darby Allin, Janela and Moxley at Fyter Fest. However, we've seen the damage over time that has been caused from unprotected chair shots, gimmicked or otherwise, and it's not good.

While the crowd may pop for the shock factor of it, these things are an instant concussion waiting to happen. Countless wrestlers have been forced to retire due to the build up of concussion incidents. Bones may break and heal, but the brain is a far more finite and delicate resource, it's why we have a huge casing around it. Straight up clattering each other over the skulls with steel chairs (or any weapon for that matter) simply isn't going to end well for anyone. 

I also don't think that it's something most want to see from their wrestling. We the fans know what happens after all these chair shots too, and in a world where we're fighting for wrestlers to be treated right as contracted employers, I don't think we want to see them put themselves to an early retirement for a quick pop.

At the end of the day, these wrestlers choose to do this for a living. However if AEW wants to be this haven where wrestlers are treated better than other places, I think that unprotected chair shots should be banned.

I don't really get why Social Media lost their shit at this after they have been craving WWE to be more edgy and when a product does something edgy they get crucified immediately. In regards to the unprotected shot, it provided a cool moment, made Spears look like a badass and started a very interesting story between the two. Overall I would say steer away from these things because you might get a little concussion and your brain might get fucked after a while 

12 minutes ago, Julius said:

I don't really get why Social Media lost their shit at this after they have been craving WWE to be more edgy and when a product does something edgy they get crucified immediately. In regards to the unprotected shot, it provided a cool moment, made Spears look like a badass and started a very interesting story between the two. Overall I would say steer away from these things because you might get a little concussion and your brain might get fucked after a while 

You literally said why social media "lost their shit", edgy doesn't equal doing something that was proven YEARS ago to cause significant damage to someone and have been cause for a massive tragedy in the industry with Chris Benoit and the retirement of many wrestlers.

11 minutes ago, Prince said:

You literally said why social media "lost their shit", edgy doesn't equal doing something that was proven YEARS ago to cause significant damage to someone and have been cause for a massive tragedy in the industry with Chris Benoit and the retirement of many wrestlers.

You all need to relax, it's not something you want to see all the time but Cody got up he was fine and nothing happened to him, the simple thing here is to not do it again. And in regards to Benoit, don't say Chair Shots were the reason he committed double murder suicide, have you seen how he wrestled 

41 minutes ago, Julius said:

You all need to relax, it's not something you want to see all the time but Cody got up he was fine and nothing happened to him, the simple thing here is to not do it again. And in regards to Benoit, don't say Chair Shots were the reason he committed double murder suicide, have you seen how he wrestled 

Of course that wasn't the only reason but there have been reports that clearly found a link between the two things. Obviously yes Cody was fine but imo they shouldn't of risked it in the first place.

Chair shots to the head just aren't a good look in 2019 where the general public and wrestling fans know of the damage done long term by taking them. Even one. I'm torn because it was cool to see in a way. Growing up it happened often enough that when it did as a fan i was into it so it got me pumped up in a carnage sort of way but in the aftermath i didn't think they should've done it. It's their show and they can do whatever, but I hope they realise that it will get a mixed reaction at best. You could have hit him anywhere on the body and would have had the same effect. Hell, hit him in the leg and work the leg during the match.