BrendenPlayz Royal Rumble

The Royal Rumble PPV is available now on BrendenPlayz!
Match Card

Chat on Discord!

Join the BrendenPlayz discord channel and chat with fellow members!
Join

Wrestlemania 36

Discuss the biggest event of the wrestling year, Wrestlemania!
Discuss Here
News Ticker
  • Check out the NEW Series of Total Extreme Wrestling available on Youtube & Twitch
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
  • Want to create your own promos and a wrestling character? Join "Kayfabe" today!
Sign in to follow this  
Arius

AEW Full Gear Discussion

The first AEW Pay-per-View with their weekly TV Show, it'll be curious to see how they build up some interesting moments for example we will likely see Jericho's first defence of the AEW World Championship. It looks like they may be building to PAC VS Hangman again. I could see them doing Cody VS Jericho since Cody has yet to lose a singles match in AEW which sets him up for a championship opportunity. It would also be likely that the AEW Tag titles would be decided here. I am curious to see if we will be getting a singles mid card title soon or not but either way i assume we'll have some interesting matches at this show. 

Really intrigued to see what sort of matches get put on this card who is the first to challenge Jericho for the title and what sort of storylines AEW develop heading into Full Gear. I think All Out did a good enough job to hype their TV debut but in terms of storytelling with some of the main players its a bit cloudy. Looking forward to this, hopefully it's another good PPV from them 

Pretty curious to find out who is Jericho's first title chellanger. I feel it's gotta be either Moxley or Omega but would they really give that match away this early?

Maybe Christopher Daniels could be another option.

Also glad we might finally get that Hangman Page vs PAC match.

With Moxley vs Omega hopefully taking place this time around and more room to build for it due to the television debut of AEW, I’m already excited for this PPV. If AEW can be consistent with their good shows then I’m really excited for the future.

Cody Rhodes to Challenge Chris Jericho for AEW Title at 'Full Gear'

Newly crowned All Elite Wrestling champion Chris Jericho will defend his title against Cody Rhodes at the Full Gear pay-per-view event in November, Sports Illustrated has learned.

The match is indicative of AEW’s commitment to the win-loss record of its stars. Rhodes has yet to lose in singles action, defeating Shawn Spears at this past weekend’s All Out pay-per-view, as well having his hand raised in the company’s signature match, which took place against Dustin Rhodes in May at the inaugural Double or Nothing show. Rhodes also went to a draw with Darby Allin at Fyter Fest in July.

The combination of wins and quality of opponents, similar to the strength of schedule format applied in college football, has propelled Rhodes to a title match against Jericho. The commitment to a wrestler’s record adds an element of realism to AEW not typically on display in major North American wrestling promotions, and enhances the chase for Jericho’s world title.

AEW president and CEO Tony Khan confirmed the report.

“Cody’s outstanding record in singles competition has secured him the number one contender ranking, and he will be challenging AEW world champion Chris Jericho in the first ever pay-per-view defense of the championship on November 9 in Baltimore at Full Gear,” said Khan. “Cody earned this opportunity over the summer as he remained unbeaten in singles bouts, scoring pins on a pair of proven veterans, defeating his older brother, the legendary wrestler Dustin Rhodes at Double or Nothing, and beating bitter rival and former partner Shawn Spears at All Out—and battling to a draw with the exciting upstart Darby Allin at Fyter Fest.

“This is an AEW world championship match that so many All Elite Wrestling fans are excited to witness, and I’m glad we’ll be able to present it at Full Gear.”

Jericho has dominated wrestling coverage since becoming AEW’s first world champ. Following his victory over “Hangman” Adam Page at All Out, Jericho’s post-match champagne celebration went viral.

He continued to dominate coverage throughout the week, igniting even more interest when news broke on Tuesday that a police report was filed over Jericho’s missing AEW championship belt. Jericho showcased his seemingly innate ability to improvise and capitalize upon any opportunity, and his social media posts and videos helped transform the story into a massive gain for the company.

A clash between Jericho and Rhodes on pay-per-view gives each performer the chance to further elevate AEW’s status in an industry with a fan base hungry for an alternative to WWE.

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2019/09/05/cody-rhodes-challenge-chris-jericho-aew-title-full-gear

Wow, the wins and losses actually mattered. No one had to demand it, ask for a rematch, or book themselves for a championship match. I'm still skepitcal of how AEW as a company are going to be able to make this last long term without needing to have resets or take into 
account recent success but it's still refreshing to see.
Cody Rhodes so far has found himself being one of the most popular babyfaces in the company which must be rewarding for him. And he's a popular babyface that can afford to take a loss so him being the challenger makes sense in that regard. No way they take the belt off Jericho so soon.

Cody Rhodes says World Title Match could change, teases Television Title: 

NoDQ

In an interview with IGN.com, Cody Rhodes discussed how his AEW World Title match against Chris Jericho at Full Gear could end up changing: 

“This is one of the positive uses of ‘card subject to change.’ I’m coming off a win over Dustin, one of the best of all time, and coming off a win over Shawn Spears, who’s an absolute stud. Those were two huge wins. So me going for the title makes all the sense in the world. But it may not end up being me versus Chris Jericho. Because Chris Jericho still has a title defense before that in Philadelphia. And it may not be me if I take a loss to Sammy Guevara on the premiere episode. I think Chris Jericho is probably going to get through his first title defense, but if he doesn’t we’re going to stick to our word about win/loss records being a deciding factor. It’s really about the data and who has the best record.” 

Cody also talked about how another possible singles title: 

“There’s a title we’re considering and it’s something people can probably guess since we’re going to be on TV, hint hint, but there are no plans for it at the moment. Right now we revolvearound the AEW Championship and in D.C. we’re going to name the first ever AEW Women’s Champion, and that’s such a beautiful belt. I don’t know if people know, up close, that rose gold is layered into it. Brandi, Kenny Omega, and Tony did a great job getting that title. There’s going to be some guidelineslaid out for whoever wins that title though,” he laughed. “Some guidelines about how they’re supposed to take care of it.” 

If they have Omega vs Moxely and then Cody vs Jericho on this show that could be the making of an incredible show here. Jericho and Cody could probably put on a fantastic story not just only at the PPV but the weeks leading up to it on AEW Television.  And Omega vs Moxely could be an absolute wrestling clinic. Definitely a match alot of people want to see and would be epic.  Omega really gonna have back to back to PPV loses

Cody vs Jericho is a match I absolutely really want to see. They’re both two of my favourite wrestlers in the planet right now so a feud for AEW’s top championship will definitely be awesome and make the show look even better. Only two matches have been announced up to this point but they both will most likely be awesome.

Moxley vs Omega and Cody vs Jericho are too big match-ups for the first PPV following the debut of AEW's TV show. However, we've seen them announce big matches for their past events. This time around, I'm more interested in seeing the storytelling from AEW and how they utilise their weekly show to help build up to Full Gear.

On a side note, I don't understand the meaning behind the name of the PPV. If someone could please explain it, that would be helpful.

2 hours ago, Smith said:

Moxley vs Omega and Cody vs Jericho are too big match-ups for the first PPV following the debut of AEW's TV show. However, we've seen them announce big matches for their past events. This time around, I'm more interested in seeing the storytelling from AEW and how they utilise their weekly show to help build up to Full Gear.

On a side note, I don't understand the meaning behind the name of the PPV. If someone could please explain it, that would be helpful.

I'm guessing they are trying to say they are in "Full Gear" after the debut of their TV show and also with this being their 3rd, 4th if you count the very first one, and that they're going all in, no pun intended.

They needed to come out hot here with a strong presentation since debuting on TV. I think they hit a home run here. This show had everything once again. Yes there are areas of the show that are weak such as their women and midcard. But their top heavy matches delivered. They had a crazy main event and a huge turn in the world title match. So many stories to follow this show. The world title picture is up in the air. The potential for a Elite vs Inner Circle is still on the cards. A midcard title could be coming soon to help give the middle guys some purpose. But overall, I really enjoyed this show. I just felt like I was excited to watch wrestling again. It's strange because theres a lot of guys in this company I could give two shits about. But I just think the presentation and the feeling that AEW provide in their shows makes me want to watch. It's early days, they're growing and learning. If this company can survive, one year from now they will be doing some really special stuff with a plethora of new stars at their disposal. It's just a building process and we're witnessing it.

Overall I really do think Full Gear was a success for AEW although there have been conflicting views on the show altogether. I think the matches went the right amount of time, I never felt bored throughout the show which is what I feel with WWE PPV's as of recent and the the match quality especially for the big marquee matches was phenomenal. The only thing that I have to critique the show is probably the fact that Janela vs Spears and the Tag-Title match really didn't need to be there and the AEW Women's Division really needs some starpower because Riho as a champ just really isn't connecting. The matches that were meant to deliver delivered which made for an all-round enjoyable watch