WWE 2k20 Universe Mode is here!

Watch WWE 2k20 Universe Mode on BrendenPlayz!
Watch Here

BrendenPlayz Tables, Ladders & Chairs

Watch the Tables, Ladders & Chairs on BrendenPlayz.
Watch Here

Chat on Discord!

Join the BrendenPlayz discord channel and chat with fellow members!
Join

Royal Rumble

The Road to Wrestlemania kicks off with the Royal Rumble PPV, LIVE on the WWE Network!
Discuss Here

BPZ vs Twitch on Total Extreme Wrestling!

Watch your very own wrestler come to life in the BPZ vs Twitch mod on Total Extreme Wrestling. How will your career fair when you are put against the very best in the BPZ Universe.
Watch Here
News Ticker
  • Check out the NEW Series of Total Extreme Wrestling available on Youtube & Twitch
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
  • Want to create your own promos and a wrestling character? Join "Kayfabe" today!
Sign in to follow this  
Isaiah Carter

What Is "Too Far" For A Wrestling Storyline?

Image result for Bad Wrestling Storyline

What Is "Too Far" For A Wrestling Storyline?

We've seen some compelling storylines over the years, injecting feuds with drama and helping turn matches into cathartic events.  But attempting to shock us, to gain publicity and ultimately to entertain, WWE has rolled out some unsettling angles.

God vs Vince, Jinder Mahal vs Shinsuke Nakamura, Katie Vick, Eddie Guerros Death, WWE is riddled with it, along with other companies. But where do YOU draw the line? Should characters real life problems? What do you think?

For me dragging a wrestler’s real life issues/problems is drawing the line with the exception of if the wrestler wants to do it but I feel most of the time they don’t want to and it is taking it to far imo for example I forget who atm I wanna say it was Charlotte who was cutting a promo and brought up her brother.

I agree about the whole death thing. Time and time again we have seen WWE milk a person's passing for storylines and such and it's just really gross. Most recently we've seen Natalya constantly bringing up her father and then when Sasha returned she had that line where she told her to say hi to him in hell. Something like that isn't really getting heat on Sasha, I just kind of cringe at the fact that WWE had her say that. Plus I'm tired of Natalya bringing up her father for sympathy and stuff. Just leave the dead alone.

Bringing dead people up for the sake of storyline heat is bad but I mean I think the worst one was Kurt Angle VS Booker T when he decided to say that he wanted to have beastiality sex with Booker's wife. Like that's just so fucked up because it encompasses several things that should NEVER Be in a wrestling Storyline with the main two things being The Racism and more importantly the implied Rape from Kurt Angle. 

Remember when Paige brought up Charlotte's dead brother up for some heat, yeah those were fun times, but on a serious note, does creative have any good ideas at all, there many ways of getting, but this is not one of them, it just stupid and disrespectful for the people involved, especially for Paige who had to say that. How did Charlotte feel after that, she must have felt like shit and so does Paige. 

Looking back on all the storylines I've watched and witnessed as a fan some of the most tasteless ones are the miscarriage angles. I’m all for edgy content, but there’s some things that you just don’t need to do. That’s a very touchy subject for some people and I don’t want to be watching a show with a female wrestler who has had a miscarriage and is on RAW the next week cutting a promo about it. That creates a very uncomfortable situation. 

I also agree with everyone mentioning death as an uncomfortable topic to use for a feud. But i think there is a line where it is okay which is weird. For example where someone is in a feud with Cody currently and if they were to say something disparaging about Dusty Rhodes and he is okay with it and so is Dustin then i can accept that but the most recent one that made me really uncomfortable was that comment Paige made about Reid Flair during her feud with Charlotte, that was pretty bad. She was clearly holding tears back as she said it too, which made it way worse and more uncomfortable and apparently, Ric wasn't even aware they were going to do it.

The storyline/angle that was always disturbing to me was Vince's "death" via limo in 2007. The angle by itself isn't really messed up at all, if anything it's comical and/or stupid. But given the events going on at the time (Benoit/Guerrero within the last two years), it seemed really out of place. I'm not sure what WWE was thinking by making a fake death storyline amidst real life ones, but it always stuck with me as a poor/messed up decision.