BrendenPlayz Royal Rumble

The Royal Rumble PPV is available now on BrendenPlayz!
Match Card

Chat on Discord!

Join the BrendenPlayz discord channel and chat with fellow members!
Join

Backlash

WWE Backlash is LIVE on the WWE Network June 14th. Discuss the PPV featuring the "Greatest Match Ever" between Randy Orton and Edge.
Discuss Here
News Ticker
  • Check out the NEW Series of Total Extreme Wrestling available on Youtube & Twitch
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
  • Want to create your own promos and a wrestling character? Join "Kayfabe" today!
Sign in to follow this  
Arius

AEW Dark Discussion

pjimage-2019-10-05T112927.415.jpg

Cody Rhodes announced "AEW Dark" will begin this Tuesday, featuring dark matches that didn't air on AEW Dynamite.

The show will be on AEW's YouTube channel and hosted by Tony Schiavone.

Four dark matches took place this past Wednesday (full results of those matches here) at the Dynamite TV tapings.

Darby Allin faced CIMA before Dynamite got started. Afterwards, three matches took place, the first was Lucha Brothers, Jack Evans, and Angelico vs. Private Party and Best Friends. Next up was Britt Baker & Allie vs. Penelope Ford and Bea Priestley, followed by SCU vs. Luchasaurus, Marko Stunt, and Jungle Boy.

In numerous interviews it's been made clear that wins-loss will matter in AEW. A fan on Twitter asked Matt Jackson if these dark matches will count towards wins-losses, and Jackson responded, "Yes. Everything counts."

Cody Rhodes announced "AEW Dark" will begin this Tuesday, featuring dark matches that didn't air on AEW Dynamite.

The show will be on AEW's YouTube channel and hosted by Tony Schiavone.

Four dark matches took place this past Wednesday (full results of those matches here) at the Dynamite TV tapings.

Darby Allin faced CIMA before Dynamite got started. Afterwards, three matches took place, the first was Lucha Brothers, Jack Evans, and Angelico vs. Private Party and Best Friends. Next up was Britt Baker & Allie vs. Penelope Ford and Bea Priestley, followed by SCU vs. Luchasaurus, Marko Stunt, and Jungle Boy.

In numerous interviews it's been made clear that wins-loss will matter in AEW. A fan on Twitter asked Matt Jackson if these dark matches will count towards wins-losses, and Jackson responded, "Yes. Everything counts."

Next Wednesday, AEW is headed to the Agganis Arena in Boston, Massachusetts. Below is the current lineup:

* AEW World Champion Chris Jericho and Sammy Guevara vs. Dustin Rhodes and "Hangman" Adam Page
* Jon Moxley vs. Shawn Spears
* The Young Bucks vs. Private Party (AEW Tag Team Tournament Match)

wrestlinginc.com

This is actually very smart. Gets everyone TV time of some sort. And we can see most of the roster, instead of focusing on the same guys every week. Like WWE usually does. Also, instead of it being like a Main Event type of thing, where W/L really doesn't matter, AEW Dark does, and could help the smaller guys a lot. Love the idea a lot overall.  

Absolutely fucking love this, makes every single match count no matter if it's televised or not. As ICON stated it also gives some lads time to shine even though they aren't on the Dynamite show. I'll definitely take a look at this some of the matches look great. Another great way to legitimise the company and wrestling in general 

Very insider name but otherwise a great concept. It's essentially the B show for AEW next to dynamite and i'm excited that we'll be getting another show by them. Of course it probably won't have that many storyline developments on the show and will probably also feature a few recaps from Dynamite however the first card for it looks quite good. 

That is a cool way to create optional content for the fans that want more. And gives the talent that didn’t get TV time that week some extra exposure.  Basically "check it out if you want, pass it up if you don’t",  plus if they’re gonna do dark matches every show, it’s a net positive to just have the cameras rolling. The Bucks mentioned on Twitter that the wins and losses will count for these dark matches as well which is interesting but i guess once it is on camera they are kind of cornered to. 
And with Tony as the host! Tony Schiavone is going all out for the company and he's a great fit. He added something to the booth that was dramatically missing when Marvez was the third man. He seems to have fit right into his role in the company well as well, more so compared to his role in MLW.

Finally got around to watching the full first episode of AEW Dark and it was a pretty enjoyable hour of wrestling. None of the matches were extraordinary but they were all fun and none of them ever dragged except for the Women's tag match. Darby getting a win against a wrestling legend such as CIMA is big for him especially since he's getting a title match this week. SCU vs Jurassic Express is always an enjoyable match and seeing Luchasaurus being so over is absolutely amazing. Looking forward to next weeks episode which features an apparent banger between Omega and Janela  

Overally I'd say that this was a good show mostly because of how great and brutal the ME between Omega and Janela was. Some of the spots they took were absolutely brutal especially Janela who really doesn't give a fuck about what effects this will have on his body 5-10 years from now. The other two matches on the card were a bit average, the triple threat was cool especially seeing Sabian pick up the win although it looks like he picked up an injury. I also think that this was the best the librarians have looked in AEW, Avalon was really entertaining and maybe they've found their home on AEW Dark. The 8-Man tag really bored me, I don't like the Dark Order and Angelico/Evans aren't really appealing to me at all. SCU losing before their tag-tournament match is interesting but I guess the company really wants to push The Dark Order as a dominant team 

Once again this show is amazing, its an amazing marketing tool by AEW and the match between Omega/Janela was awesome. Joey Janela is one of my favorite stars in AEW, meanwhile, also on Dark. Pete Avalon is my least favorite, easily. His character is weird, and he obviously can play a heel. But the "Shhh", is just annoying. I don't see the point in it and unless he has a gimmick change I don't see him getting out of "AEW Dark". The 8 man was pretty boring, but overall this show was really good for what it is. I loved the storyline they had with Omega wanting it to be unsanctioned.

This week's AEW Dark was great. Trent and Pentagon Jr. had a really good match, really showed that both men could become big singles stars in AEW if given the chance. Loved that they showcased the new women's wrestlers and the main event of AEW Dark between Omega and Jack Evans was also great.

Watched AEW Dark this week again, i don't know what happened last week but this week AEW Dark was great once again. I really like how unpredictable the matches are on AEW since WWE's matches are often very predictable. Happy to see Private Party vs. SCU once again those two teams always put on a great match and the rest of AEW Dark was meh apart from the ME.

AEW Dark! What a great investment this has been for the company. Each episode is regularly getting a million views after a month or more and the idea of AEW taping their dark matches and airing them on a separate show was a good use of resources. This is exactly what WWE should be doing with Main Event instead of neglecting it. Today i'm going to be looking back on the first episode as i recap a lot of what i might've missed.

I remember going into AEW i had very little knowledge of CIMA outside of knowing he exodus his former promotion with a few key talent names to try and make money in China. He showed how great of a wrestler he was against Kenny Omega at Fight for the Fallen because i really enjoyed that match. You can tell he'll ever be a main event player in AEW but the paychecks are coming in so he can make people look good in a competitive nature. I do wonder what the long term goals for CIMA are now because I haven't felt they have a place in AEW.
What a revelation Darby Allin has been though right? I'm a big fan of his lately and thought he had a solid showing here. They didn't light the world on fire or anything, but it was a well wrestled match. The coffin drop is the best finisher-for-gimmick pairing in ages.

The Lucha Brothers and TheHybrid2 def. Best Friends and Private Party
Make sure to breathe during this one because it was all action from start to finish, plus a few fun moments. Jack Evans and Angelico not being in the tag-tournament should've become a reason for them to show up during every match of the tourney so Jack Evans could run his mouth. These guys are too good to fall by the wayside. Lucha Brothers were far and away the biggest stars in this matchup so it made sense that they got the victory. Seeing the audience get behind Orange Cassidy as those who weren't used to him were getting behind the shtick was fun as well. Orange fits a lot better as a third man over Marko with Lucha Express in my opinion. 

Britt Baker and Allie def. Penelope Ford and Bea Pristley
Something that dawned on me during this match was how amazing Allie's character arc was in IMPACT yet how ill-defined of a character she had been since signing with AEW. She's a decent competitor, better with the right opponent but during these early months there was  no reason to care about her otherwise. She was misisng working against characters such as  Laurel Van Ness, Rosemary, Su Yung ect. Even the storyline with Braxton. This match was pretty much passible despite being a fan of most women in the match. I'm eh on Bea Pristley.

SoCal Uncensored def. Jurassic Express
It's amazing that despite how popular they are with the audience, Jurassic Express have yet to win a single matchup in AEW.  These two faced each other before at All Out and i feel that original encounter felt a lot more energetic than this. Maybe because this was a dark show they held back? Even if it is taped. It was a fun match and it's hard to not get into see Luchasaurus on television.  I'm happy for the success SoCal Uncensored have had since ROH and i feel out of the three of them i could see Scorpio Sky break away and be a singles asset for the company. It's funny to think in another timeline Sky might've been on WWE television as Harold for a long period of time if he didn't mess up.
"Oh shit. Harold joined AEW? Harold is ALL IN?"

Kip Sabian defeated Peter Avalon and Sonny Kiss 
I'm not sure how people feel about the Librarian gimmick at the moment but to me after the rough start they had i feel like they've hit their stride in the roles.  I remember enjoying Peter Avalon in Championship Wrestling from Hollywood where he showed the same bravado in his words and Leva Bates always seems like she's willing to have fun regardless of the role she's being cast in. Whether it's as Blue Pants in NXT or now as The Librarian alongside Peter Avalon, she commits herself to it. I'm not sure how their characters will ultimately end up in AEW but they're giving it her all.

This match was a good still image of the variety of character they have as well, a good mixture of everything being thrown together at once and getting a good enough match as a result. This made a lot of sense as a dark match to opening the night and Sabian gets some momentum while keeping Kiss strong. Avalon will have his revenge one day! 
Image result for peter avalon gif

The Dark Order and TheHybrid2 defeated  SoCal Uncensored and CIMA
I remember at his point in AEW the Dark Order were boring me to tears. They were perfectly fine in the ring but the gimmick continued to do nothing for me and the out cry was for AEW to actually going into depth with the group to explain their story which gladly they have by the current time. As for this match I enjoyed the interaction between Jack Evans, Angelico and SCU. Kaz was the standout of the match and i'd love to see him have a singles run sometime in the future as a part of SCU or (god forbid) away from them.  Jack Evans is the heel we need but the crowd don't realise at the moment. There was a moment during the match where Stu Grayson hit a 'Hilo (Eddie Guerrero used to call it that, not sure of the official name) but instead on the apron to the outside of the ring which was crisp. TheHybrid2 finally won something! 

Kenny Omega defeated Joey Janela in an Unsanctioned Match
Do you remember all the acclaim this match got when it first happens? It lives up. This was a blast. This match really had a very ECW feel to it. It had all the weapons and the big spots but also they had the crowd in the palm of their hands. I think that is a key component in a match like this. Are fans buying into what you are doing? These two looked like they were beating the hell out of each other for almost 30 minutes. It had a gritty feel to it, which most AEW shows do, but this one had an extra element. It could have been because this wasn’t televised but maybe that is just me. The announcers talked about Janela not wanting to be the “deathmatch” guy as much anymore but when you only have matches like this it’s hard to get away from that. 

I do wish "Unsanctioned" matches counted in records, but as exhibitions they're pretty fun. I felt there were a few spots a little too choreographed (where the opponent holds a chair/acts prone to wait for the move), but otherwise it was great.  Love seeing the psychotic side of Omega. That Ibushi styled neck snap on the ring edge was cringe in a good way.  
One other note is that i absolutely love the cinematography and aesthetic of AEW Dark. I know they have almost a week to do post colour correction compared to the live show, but they stepped it up with all the interesting new camera angles.  
Image result for kenny omega vs joey janela gif