WWE 2k20 Universe Mode is here!

Watch the first episode of WWE 2k20 Universe Mode on BrendenPlayz!
Watch Here

BrendenPlayz Tables, Ladders & Chairs

Watch the Tables, Ladders & Chairs on BrendenPlayz.
Watch Here

Chat on Discord!

Join the BrendenPlayz discord channel and chat with fellow members!
Join

Survivor Series

WWE's three brands collide at Survivor Series LIVE on the WWE Network.
Discuss Here

BPZ vs Twitch on Total Extreme Wrestling!

Watch your very own wrestler come to life in the BPZ vs Twitch mod on Total Extreme Wrestling. How will your career fair when you are put against the very best in the BPZ Universe.
Watch Here
News Ticker
  • WWE 2k20 content coming soon to BrendenPlayz
  • Create your own wrestling character and join all the fun in the "Kayfabe" section! Ask a moderator for more details
  • Watch your very own created wrestler be booked on the BPZ vs Twitch series! Available on BrendenPlayz' Twitch Channel
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
Sign in to follow this  
Arius

AEW Women's Championship: Riho (c) vs. Emi Sakura

Zero interest in this. The women are cold. Especially the japanese girls, they're not connecting with the audience. Riho is overpushed and she has done nothing to deserve it. Kenny Omega has got his wish here and is clearly the reason behind her big run. But shes 100 pounds beating everybody and dominating. She finally took a loss this week but it was just to build some late interest in this Sakura match. Sakura comes to the ring wearing a moustache and pretending to be freddy mercury for some reason. It just isn't working. I like what we saw from Shanna in the last couple of weeks, there might be an opportunity  to try her out more in the future. Britt Baker needs more TV time. Awesome Kong beating Riho in 10 seconds for the title would be great at this point.

I completely agree with Brenden here. I have been very impressed with girls like Shanna, Awesome Kong, and Britt Baker. Much more than Emi Sakura. I do like Riho though but this match is just not interesting. Although I get it a bit as I think Sakura helped trained Riho so they are trying to put on a Student vs Teacher match. Now as much as they sounds good on paper. I just wish the build was a bit better but with the two characters the women have at the moment it was hard to do. I see Riho retaining her and probably losing at the next PPV. I could be completely wrong about the training thing sorry if I am.

Seeing as I haven't watched action from either of these two women in the past, I can't fully form my own opinion, but I will definitely have to agree that this match, and the prominence of Joshi in general, is to feed the appetite of Kenny Omega. With Full Gear being my introduction to these two women, I am excited to see the action they put on, but I would think Riho goes over here by the virtue of having just recently won the Women's title. Hopefully, this match surprises myself and the critics in this thread.

I am actually looking forward to this match for two reasons:

1. It's been a while since we had a Teacher vs Student match (Triple H vs Seth Rollins at WrestleMania 33 comes to mind) and I am looking forward to some of those unique dynamics playing out.

2. Towards the end of Riho & Shanna vs Emi Sakura & Jamie Hayter, both champion and challenger were given a little time to tease the match and the sequence between the two of them was ridiculously awesome and it shows that their chemistry is off the charts. If that sequence is a true taste of their match then it should be the best AEW women's match that we have seen so far.

The women's division has been very bare bones so far. They do have some good talent but compared to WWE/NXT and even Impact, it's quite weak. They aren't doing anything to get you invested in these women and there's no stories to guide the division. It all feels very directionless like they don't know what they want to do which is in complete contrast to the great main event feuds they've been building. A big part of the problem I think is that they seem to be assuming you already know Riho and Emi's history and think the story is already written. A master-student story could have been great if they actually told it on television over time instead of randomly booking the match and having the entirety of the build being a tag match against each other. I've seen bits and pieces of their history online but that isn't on television and nobody knows these people! Very frustrating to see wasted potential like this and is almost alienating to have it feel like some sort of insider's show.

And also, why didn't they use Aja, Awesome, even Mercedes, or some other veteran talents that are bigger names than people like Riho. Their could have been an awesome journey to the title with Riho over the years but they hotshot her to being the first champion because she is buddies with Kenny.

A match I knew I wouldn't care about and it delivered on that promise. Just two girls who will struggle to connect. Riho to her credit has some support from the fans. But they really need to build this division from the ground up. So it's going to take probably a year before we really see it flourishing.

As expected (by me only 😂), the match was good, definitely the best AEW women's match that we've had so far. Like @I Can't Odd said, some people would investigate into all kinds of wrestling history but most need to be told the story which is why this match seemed unnecessary in they eyes of many. The issue is obviously the star power, AEW is lucky to have an open-minded audience as it seems like Riho has become a favourite whereas newer roster additions such as Hikaru Shida and Emi Sakura are being taken in by the mainstream audience with every match. Like @BrendenPlayz said, give them a year and they will be fulfilling the star power in the midst of a loyal audience.