WWE 2k20 Universe Mode is here!

Watch WWE 2k20 Universe Mode on BrendenPlayz!
Watch Here

BrendenPlayz Tables, Ladders & Chairs

Watch the Tables, Ladders & Chairs on BrendenPlayz.
Watch Here

Chat on Discord!

Join the BrendenPlayz discord channel and chat with fellow members!
Join

Royal Rumble

The Road to Wrestlemania kicks off with the Royal Rumble PPV, LIVE on the WWE Network!
Discuss Here

BPZ vs Twitch on Total Extreme Wrestling!

Watch your very own wrestler come to life in the BPZ vs Twitch mod on Total Extreme Wrestling. How will your career fair when you are put against the very best in the BPZ Universe.
Watch Here
News Ticker
  • Check out the NEW Series of Total Extreme Wrestling available on Youtube & Twitch
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
  • Want to create your own promos and a wrestling character? Join "Kayfabe" today!
Sign in to follow this  
Arius

Becoming Synonymous

Image result for cody rhodes introduces ic title
On October 2, 2011, at Hell in a Cell, Cody Rhodes introduced a modified version of the classic Intercontinental Championship belt design with the white strap, with an added modern WWE "scratch logo" and other embellishments. Cody would emphasise the past holders of the championship such as Ricky' The Dragon' Steamboat, Steve Austin and Bret Hart and his pride of holding it the same as they did.

This design (though altered slightly along the way) has stayed active past the tenure of Cody Rhodes in WWE and through two separate brand splits until November, 2019 where Sami Zayn and Shinsuke Nakamura introduced a newly designed championship live on Smackdown bring this design to end end.

That brought the question to my mind about being synonymous with an object, an idea or an event and so i wanted to start this experimental series where i'll ask the forums which superstar you most associate with a  championship, event, match type ect. And first to start of this series as i lead with, the end of the Modern version of the White Strap Intercontinental Championship. 
Looking back who would you say is the synonymous name with the championship is? 
(October, 2011 - November, 2019)
image.jpeg

Image result for the miz ic title reigns"

For me, no one represents the Intercontinental Championship like The Miz. The title just, fits him. He helped the title out a lot in the past decade and his segments on Miz TV, his heelish ways to win, and his gimmick truly increased the titles worth imo. He has held the title many times, and has put over tons of stars by giving them the belt. He is one of the best talkers in the company.

I would’ve said the Miz but BiC said it already so I’ll say Dolph Ziggler. The title shows the workhorse of WWE and very few work their asses off as much as Dolph Ziggler. He’s had some iconic storyline’s for the title including the one with Miz in 2016 and the title just suits him very well

For obvious reasons, I'd go with The Miz as well. But for the sake of originality, I'd say Bad News Barrett. Barrett had a total of 5 title reigns with the belt, and 4 of them came with the new design. With that being said, most IC title matches I remember have Barrett involved as a champion or at least a challenger. He's worn that championship for a very long time, and he's had some memorable moments while holding it. And like Bashka said, it's a belt of workhorses, and Barrett went through a hell of a long journey to get to his spot.

Again, to not repeat names, I would also say Kevin Owens. It was his first main roster title and i have fond memories of his tenure with the belt, especially the Ambrose feud and that and his second reign were amazing moments in the Road to Wrestlemania 32

Back when the white strap was first introduced, I think for the first couple of years, the championship was predominantly represented by four men, Cody, Barrett, Miz, and Ziggler. However, since Cody and Barrett's departures, Miz and Ziggler have taken the title to new levels and continued to maintain the prestige of the championship over five years now. Therefore, I'd say this one has to be split between the Cleveland boys, Miz and Ziggler.

The white belt has a sort of old-schoolish feel to me. Even though it isn't old at all. A name that instantly comes to my mind when I think of it is Christian. He just seemed to have it a lot of the time and is one of the images that comes to my mind when I think of the belt is always this:

Image result for christian intercontinental champion

I think at this point we can say that sadly Brock Lesnar and the Universal Championship have entered this terrority. Yes he isn't the champ currently, but when I think of the belt, Lesnar will still pop my mind almost instantly for his 2 year dominance over the belt and RAW. 

Winner: The Miz
Image result for the miz intercontinental champion
After a lot of worthy names being tossed around, Wade Barrett, Kevin Owens and the one who could be argued as having nearly or just as much association with the championship during its existence in Dolph Ziggler it in the end seems that the majority opinion is to the man Ziggler feuded with on countless occasions of the championship in The Miz and it is hard to disagree. After so many empty promises, The Miz became the one guy who has came close to 'restoring the prestige' of the Intercontinental title.  And that's a testament to how hard he worked to make that title relevant. I know he isn't the one making the booking decisions, but the way he carried the title, like literally the way he held it and moved with it, combined with the emotion he used when he spoke about it in his promos really did make the title mean something again.
I remember throughout each reign, the heights people said he should break Honky Tonk Man’s record for the longest and a lot of people also said he should break the record for the number of reigns with the championship. That is the kind of commitment, dedication, and heart that The Miz put into this belt whenever he held onto it. I'm sure he'll hold it again before his career is over. Maybe more than once.

Next: World Tag Team Championships ('02 - '10)
Image result for lance storm and sean morley
This design lasting from 2002 all the way until 2010 and sadly the final design of the famed lineage of the WWF/WWE Tag Team Championships before WWE scrapped them for a fresh start with their newly designed Gladiatorial designs after a unification. On an episode of RAW the unified titles were consolidated into one championship with the new championships presented to The Hart Dynasty (David Hart Smith and Tyson Kidd). Over the course of the eight year history of the design, which tag team do you feel become synonymous?

Edge-and-Randy-Orton.jpg
Rated RKO

I think the team I will associate the most with those World Tag Team Titles has to be Rated RKO. Even though they were a makeshift tag team, they were a very good and entertaining makeshift tag team. I don't know, Orton and Edge holding those titles just fitted them so well, more than any other tag team from the Ruthless Aggression Era.