BrendenPlayz Royal Rumble

The Royal Rumble PPV is available now on BrendenPlayz!
Match Card

Chat on Discord!

Join the BrendenPlayz discord channel and chat with fellow members!
Join

Wrestlemania 36

Discuss the biggest event of the wrestling year, Wrestlemania!
Discuss Here
News Ticker
  • Check out the NEW Series of Total Extreme Wrestling available on Youtube & Twitch
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
  • Want to create your own promos and a wrestling character? Join "Kayfabe" today!
Sign in to follow this  
Arius

Dustin Rhodes vs. Jake Hager

I predicted this on the Dynamite thread and I'm very pleased with this. Both guys know each other and I think have the ability to have a good match. Hager has been built up well without ever having a match and I think Revolution was the perfect place to debut him. One of my favorite things about AEW is how everything is intertwined as wrestlers interact with each other up and down the card and all these small moments happen that build to other things. I imagine Hager comes out of this looking beastly which he should. 

This should be decent, I have enjoyed how they have portrayed Jake Hager as a loyal bodyguard for Chris Jericho, just simply protecting the leader of the Inner Circle. I see this as Dustin Rhodes trying to stand up to a bully, which can always be a decent story depending on how you play your cards. For me I think Jake Hager will take this one, as they cant have him lose just yet. It will be cool to see him in the ring again, because you dont see him wrestle often in AEW (or even if he has?) Should be a decent match, as Dustin is still able to pull out bangers in his old days. 

Well would you look at that, Goldust and Jack Swagger getting a legitimate match on a PPV in 2020. Crazy right? Anyway the story here has been done well with the whole Hager debut from the beginning and the injury angle with Dustin a few weeks ago. I think AEW need to have Hager take the W here because Dustin is really a glorified jobber at the moment while Hager could still have a lot of potential at the top of the card. I think this will be Hager's first match in AEW so he needs a good showing and Dustin is a solid worker to go against

If you told me one year ago I'd be excited at the possibility of a Dustin Rhodes vs Jake Hager match in 2020, I'd think you were crazy. Well done AEW making me care about two guys who wrestling wise are probably two of the most underrated wrestlers that have come through WWE.

As for the match itself I only see one result possibility and that is a Jake Hager victory. This is his first official match in the company and he is being positioned well as one of the top big guys there (Also helps that they mentioning his now legit MMA career in Bellator). Dustin is a good hand to put people over and get great matches out of people and that's what he will do here.

Finally, Hager has a match. I wonder if he's gonna have actual in-ring gear or if he's gonna just wrestle in his weird shirt. I think this match is gonna end up with Jake Hager dominating and Dustin getting destroyed because Jake Hager is a bodyguard and an MMA badass which means he will be booked like one.

A few years ago, I would've never expected to see that Jack Swagger vs Goldust would be a PPV match, but here it is,  just goes to show how good AEW is at building up stars for their PPVs. Anyway, both of these guys have been on somewhat of a roll recently, Hager has been seen as the muscle of the Inner Circle, and Dustin has been killing it in his matches, teaming up with the likes of the Young Bucks. Overall I expect it to be a decent match with Jake easily getting the victory, no chance Dustin wins here.

Unsure of how this match will play out, while it could be a very good match it also could be a massive train wreck. This is not a knock on Dustin as a performer as I feel he'll be able to do alright in this match but Hager's position currently is an odd one. He hasn't had a proper wrestling match in about 6 months so I don't know how he's going to do in this match.

I'll say I think Hager win's this since you kind of have to make him look good in his first AEW In Ring performance. 

When this was on a lot of people in chat were giving it hate. I don't see why. It wasn't a match that had to have the over the top explosive spots that the others matches had, it just needed to be a solid opener. And that it was. Jack Hager looked very very strong. And even Dustin Rhodes got his offense in. The one thing I didn't like was the ending. With Rhodes passing out following the triangle choke hold. I don't like passing out as a finish to a match, it just makes it seem rushed.

I think as a match this was fine but to open the PPV with it I'm not so sure of. Hager and Dustin are definitely past their primes and I did find that this match a little boring at stages, especially when Hager was just working over Dustin. The whole wife angle was really weird and I dunno if it was necessarily needed. Personally I would have kicked off the show with a fast-paced match like Guevara vs Allin, it showcased AEW's future while also putting on an entertaining match. Not saying that this match was bad, but I don't think it's placement on the card was correct 

I really liked this match. Great to see Hager in there. Dustin works a great style in terms of being able to tell a great story every time he's out there. It was nice and physical and a fun opener. I'd like to see Hager in there more often from now on and in the mix with the top guys. Probably when they have the War Games match he'll be apart of it maybe.

Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of the match, partially because it felt a little too slow, even for Dustin's age, and partially because of it's placement. A more fast paced match would have been useful to hype up the crowd to kick off the show, and this slower, more storytelling based match could have been used as a bit of a cooldown later in the show. Hager is honestly a very bland big man worker, I don't find him to be too entertaining to watch, but perhaps he can disprove that theory in future.