BrendenPlayz Royal Rumble

The Royal Rumble PPV is available now on BrendenPlayz!
Match Card

Chat on Discord!

Join the BrendenPlayz discord channel and chat with fellow members!
Join

Backlash

WWE Backlash is LIVE on the WWE Network June 14th. Discuss the PPV featuring the "Greatest Match Ever" between Randy Orton and Edge.
Discuss Here
News Ticker
  • Check out the NEW Series of Total Extreme Wrestling available on Youtube & Twitch
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
  • Want to create your own promos and a wrestling character? Join "Kayfabe" today!
Sign in to follow this  
Arius

AEW TNT Championship Discussion

All Elite Wrestling Official Logo 2019 PNG by AmbriegnsAsylum16 on ...

In September 2019, a month before All Elite Wrestling (AEW) launched their weekly television program, AEW Executive Vice President and wrestler Cody teased that the promotion would eventually debut a television championship, but their focus at that time was on their other recently established titles. In February 2020, wrestling journalist Dave Meltzer directly asked Cody on the possibility of the promotion adding a secondary championship. Although he did not confirm or deny it, Cody did not rule out the possibility of a secondary or "mid-card" title debuting that year. The following month on March 30 on AEW's YouTube series Road to Dynamite, a secondary championship was officially announced. AEW play-by-play commentator and senior producer Tony Schiavone revealed that there would be an eight-man, single-elimination tournament to crown the first-ever AEW TNT Champion. The tournament will begin on the April 8 episode of Dynamite and continue over the next few weeks, with the final to take place at Double or Nothing on May 23.

The championship is named after the TNT television network, which airs AEW's flagship program, Dynamite. In the press release about the TNT Championship, AEW President and CEO Tony Khan stated:

it's only fitting that the champion and the title belt will carry the logo of the globally-respected TNT brand, and that they'll represent not only AEW but also the great quality programming, massive reach, and storied history in the wrestling business that are all associated with TNT.

AEW TNT Championship Tournament Bracket Picks:
AEW-TNT-Championship-Tournament.jpeg

Cody and Tony Schiavone announced this week that a new title will be coming to All Elite Wrestling in the TNT Championship. An eight-man tournament will start next week to crown the first-ever AEW TNT champion.

Post your tournament picks and eventual winner below.

Quarter-Final

Cody vs Shawn Spears: Spears really hasn't done anything since losing to Cody at All Out which is a bit of a shame so he really doesn't need to pick up the win here whereas Cody needs some wins under his belt at the moment. I think Cody takes this match and moves onto the semis

Sammy Guevara vs Darby Allin: We did just see this at the PPV not too long ago so Idk why they couldn't just change up the bracket to make it seem more interesting. Anyhow, I think Darby Allin wins here and I think he'll have a pretty strong tournament 

Dustin Rhodes vs Kip Sabian: I'd probably like to see Kip take the win, but for storyline purposes and a potential semi-final clash with Archer, I'm going to say Dustin picks up the win here 

Lance Archer vs Colt Cabana: Should be a fun match, both men are undefeated but Archer 100% needs to win this one and probably beat the shit out of Colt to get the win

Semi-Final

Darby Allin vs Cody: Going to go with the upset here and say Darby Allin gets his win back over Cody. I also don't think they should waste Cody vs Lance Archer for a tournament final and although thats a big deal, I'd want to see them do it at Double or nothing or at least when crowds do return

Lance Archer vs Dustin Rhodes: Pretty simple stuff, Archer takes the W beating Cody's brother in the process and continuing that storyline

Final

Lance Archer vs Darby Allin: You can go one of two ways here. You go all in on Archer, have him dominate Darby and win the championship or you give Darby the big underdog win through Cody interfering which could protect Archer. However, I think Archer's first big loss in AEW should come after a big storyline and should be made a big deal so I'm predicting Archer to beat Darby Allin to win the TNT Championship

Quarter-Final

Cody vs Shawn Spears: Cody

Sammy Guevara vs Darby Allin: Sammy Guevara

Dustin Rhodes vs Kip Sabian: Dustin Rhodes

Lance Archer vs Colt Cabana: Lance Archer

Semi-Final

Sami Guevara vs Cody: Cody

Lance Archer vs Dustin Rhodes: Lance Archer

Final

Lance Archer vs Cody: Lance Archer

Spears vs. Cody: Cody won.

Darby vs. Sammy: This is the most unpredictable match in the tournament, without a doubt. I could see it going either way, with Darby Allin teasing frustration against Cody in their tag team match two weeks ago, while Sammy Guevara makes sense, putting Cody vs. the heir to Chris Jericho in the semifinals. My gut tells me Darby will win this, but my head says Sammy Guevara. So I will go with Sammy Guevara on this one, giving us a Cody vs. Sammy semi-final.

Archer vs. Cabana: Should be a good match but we know who's winning.

Dustin vs. Kip: Whereas Darby vs. Sammy is the most unpredictable, this whole side of the bracket is predictable. Archer vs Dustin in the semifinals seems written in stone already, with Archer crushing Dustin to get to the final.

Archer vs. Dustin: Archer dominates.

Cody vs. Sammy: Sammy slips up in the match, showing his youth, giving Cody a window of opportunity to win the match, and "Caesar" does it himself, setting up Cody vs. Archer in the finals.

Cody vs. Archer - FINAL: Either way, I don't mind either man winning. Cody winning would draw backlash potentially from the IWC, but I think it could be a smart move if done right which AEW tends to do. If Cody wins, and it sets Archer on a blazing path of destruction even more brutal than he was already on, then it's fine. Or Archer wins, either result is good.

I think overall, this tournament is a good foundation for the inaugural TNT Champion. 

Quarter-Final

Cody vs Shawn Spears: Cody

Sammy Guevara vs Darby Allin: Darby Allin

Dustin Rhodes vs Kip Sabian: Kip Sabian

Lance Archer vs Colt Cabana: Lance Archer

Semi-Final

Cody vs Darby Allin: Darby Allin

Kip Sabian vs Lance Archer: Lance Archer

Final

Darby Allin vs Lance Archer: Lance Archer

AEW Dustin Rhodes

Dustin Rhodes promises to retire if he can't beat Kip Sabian this week:

AEW released a preview clip for next week’s Road To episode. The preview clips shows Cody Rhodes speaking to Dustin Rhodes, who declared that if he can’t beat Kip Sabian in their TNT Championship tournament quarterfinal match that he will retire. You can check out that preview clip below.

The new episode of Road to the TNT Championship will be released on Monday, April 20. Rhodes will face Kip Sabian in their TNT Championship Tournament quarterfinal match on next week’s episode of Dynamite. The show will air on Wednesday, April 22 on TNT.

I expect the finals of the tournament to be between Archer and Cody, which should make for an awesome match. They have already sorted of started building this match with the confrontations between Jake Roberts and Cody, so I would be suprised if the tournaments finals doesn't have the two of them facing off. In the finals, I see Archer winning. I think Archer would benefit more from holding the title than Cody, who in my opinion doesn't need any title as he is able to create amazing storylines without them as has been shown in most of his run in AEW. 

This throws an interesting wrench in the tournament. I could see this played out the same way as Ric Flair's WWE retirement storyline in which he has to keep winning to keep wrestling. Dustin Rhodes will definitely beat Kip Sabian but the interesting situation is how far could Rhodes go? Will he lose to Lance Archer in the semi-finals in a couple of weeks? Will he get to the Finals against Cody (most likely option) and get retired by his brother? Or could he win the championship and have one last title run before losing his career along with his title?

Cody on where the TNT championship stands within the promotion:

Cody says that TNT requested to have their own championship belt.

When asked about the placement of the TNT Championship, Cody says that the champion will not be ranked. He says that AEW won't look at the new championship as second-placed, but he doesn't know what the title scene will look like, but says it will have an identity of its own.

nodq.com

The new TNT Title debuted at AEW’s Double or Nothing PPV but received some criticism from fans over the design. The announcers brought up how the title’s design is unfinished due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Ron Edwardson, who designed the title, provided more details on the RED Leather Facebook account:

"Unfortunately due to Covid-19 the platers I used are working on skeleton crews and can only work on respirators / emergency equipment. Once regular business resumes this belt will get some much needed highlights in nickel and gold as well as a relief TNT logo."

Edwardson said that due to his contract, he is unable to show people what the final design will look like. He also confirmed that the title design was inspired by the NWA TV Title:

"That's how the person writing the check wanted it. I had my ideas and they had theirs. In the end they are happy but some fans aren't but one thing about wrestling fans is they are never happy."

NoDQ

– Cody says that you don’t have to be an official member of the AEW roster to take on his open challenge for the TNT Championship. As previously noted, Cody announced that he will be defending the new title weekly on AEW Dynamite in an open challenge, with Jungle Boy being the first competitor on this week’s episode. When asked by a fan on Twitter if the challenge was open to non-AEW talent, Cody replied yes.

411mania