BrendenPlayz Royal Rumble

The Royal Rumble PPV is available now on BrendenPlayz!
Match Card

Chat on Discord!

Join the BrendenPlayz discord channel and chat with fellow members!
Join

Backlash

WWE Backlash is LIVE on the WWE Network June 14th. Discuss the PPV featuring the "Greatest Match Ever" between Randy Orton and Edge.
Discuss Here
News Ticker
  • Check out the NEW Series of Total Extreme Wrestling available on Youtube & Twitch
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
  • Want to create your own promos and a wrestling character? Join "Kayfabe" today!
Sign in to follow this  
Sheridan

One Year of AEW: Best Matches and Storylines?

Cody Rhodes vs Dustin Rhodes- AEW Double or Nothing

With the anniversary of All Elite Wrestling's inaugural PPV days away, I wanted to ask more devoted fans of the product what their favourite matches and storylines have been be it culmination on their weekly wrestling show or on PPV. There's been some great storytelling and battles on AEW's weekly Dynamite shows and also at the likes of All Out and Full Gear. A favourite of mine is captured well in the picture at the start of this topic and it's the Cody and Dustin which was an emotional affair but also one which was one of the best matches of 2019 of an American promotion. I think that the post-match speech from Cody to Dustin is one of the most emotional wrestling moments ever.

So with that being said, what're your favourite matches and storylines of AEW's inaugural wrestling year?

acaba99f73efa1ba89306d0a82176852_crop_exIMG_4771.jpg

One of my favourite matches since the inception of AEW was the lights out match from Full Gear between Kenny Omega and Jon Moxley. The match was violent as a top American wrestling promotion can get it. I absolutely loved it and the concept itself is really cool, especially that ending which was fucking insane. One of my other favourite moments from AEW was THAT promo from Cody Rhodes on Chris Jericho. It was basically modern day version of Dusty's "Hard Times" promo and it was lovely. I've enjoyed AEW and we will for sure see some more awesome moments from the company.

Cody and Dustin is yeh my match of the year was incredible with the story being told and who knew Dustin Rhodes Had that in him truly an incredible performance. My favorite feud was probably Jericho vs Cody as well the promo were pretty amazing and it was a high stakes match. Jericho and Cody definitely the 2 best AEW guys of the year 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbsqCa1Tnh7NYp9Ri5scQ

My favorite part of AEW has to be the Inner Circle vs. The Elite, it's been the main story AEW has told since Dynamite first premiered and has generated several intertwining stories between the two factions that ultimately will conclude with Blood & Guts, a build that will I believe become historic and memorial for how long it's been, with so many twists and turns like Matt Hardy debuting and siding with The Elite. I can't wait for the ultimate payoff.

I really liked the storyline between Cody and MJF. I felt like they told such a captivating story, that was so entertaining. My favorite match is easily Dustin v Cody. I walked into that match with low to mid expectations, because I knew Cody was good, but I didn't really know how Dustin would hang. Then the storytelling in the match was just picture perfect and it is easily one of my favorite matches, and I feel like it is one of AEW's best so far.

I think AEW's first year was a good as one could imagine when they announced the company. Guys like Chris Jericho, Cody and Moxley have been constant highlights for me.

Some of the storylines that really sticked out to me: 

The battle of the brothers between Cody and Dustin was a very emotional rivalry that was kept off beautifully in an amazing match, the best match from Dustin in years. 

Cody then went on to have an amazing storyline with Jericho for the World Title, in my opinion the best world title match/feud that AEW has had thus far. The way how they managed to intergrate Cody running AEW into this storyline was perfect, as when you think about it, it's quite tricky ground as typicall power in the company is associated with heels, but here, they managed to make Cody even more likeable because of it. 

The storyline teasing an Elite fallout when The Young Bucks faced Omega and Page for the tag team championships was great. The sitdown interview that they had prior to the match was one of the best segments that AEW has had so far, and the match is arguabley the MOTY from AEW up till this point. 

Other storylines that I really liked are Moxley vs Omega,  Moxley vs Jericho, Cody vs MJF and Lucha Brus vs The Young Bucks. 

I haven't been able to watch every single AEW show but from what I've been able to catch, Dustin and Cody is still the best match they've done. It was a great story leading up to it and they managed to pull off a match that exceeded my expectations. Dustin looked the best he's looked in his entire career and Cody done some of his best work to date and it was just some classic old school wrestling done right in 2020. I was on the edge of my seat the entire team which isn't something I can say about most wrestling lately. The aftermath was great too as it helped turn Cody into a face, where he's easily done his best promos since. 

From a guy that's seen a majority of the AEW shows, I think the match that stands out to me is the match from Revolution that had Hangman and Omega face off against the Bucks. It was special really, and It was all I expected from them. 4 of the very best that AEW had to offer, did everything you could want from a tag team match. I think the idea that The Bucks don't do storytelling has to die now. It was as modern a story as you can get while also having insane call backs to the the golden ages of wrestling. Everything in this match just clicked, it made perfect sense, it easily could've been a spotfest type of match, which I know is hated by some, but it definitely didn't . Omega proved how in the ring, there is almost no one to compare. I think Matt the whole time selling his back injury was the highlight of the match entirely. In its entirety this is a match I'd recommend to literally any fan of tag team wrestling, or wrestling in general. This is a clinic in how you should sell, in how you should build an above average tag team bout. With a stacked tag team division that AEW has, they could do this thousands of times if they wanted, and it wouldnt get old. 

Hangman Page/Kenny Omega vs Young Bucks Revolution MV (The Golden ...

I would have to say Adam Page and Kenny Omega vs The Young Bucks at Revolution has been my favorite AEW match in their short history, being one of my favorite tag matches ever. The build to this match was awesome with visible rifts between Adam and The Elite that added to the uncertainty of the match. I think I also have to give The Young Bucks props here because I definitely have railed against their style and while there were still some things I can nit pick about, they were great in all aspects of this match. This match drew me in completely and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, just a great story and action. The post match tease was done perfectly as well.  I suppose I could say the Adam Page character arc has been my favorite story. He's been my favorite wrestler since AEW started and I have enjoyed seeing his evolution after losing at All Out.

AEW Revolution 29-Feb-2020 - Young Bucks vs Adam Page & Kenny ...Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes At AEW Double Or Nothing Named 2019 Pro ...

I want to look at two separate matches, which both exceeded my expectations for sure. Firstly Omega & Hangman Page vs The Young Bucks, which if you look back into this one it was really great to watch for a viewer. Following each of their Career's, knowing that they all had some sort of bond together it made that match even more impactful through the rich storytelling & proper wrestling. But another one that comes to mind, is a more emotion fought battle between two brothers. Cody vs Dustin was a great match, the storytelling was beautiful and told a great story that had been told throughout the years. I didn't expect to see Dustin do as well as he did, with his best years obviously behind him it was a pleasant surprise to see how well he did against a much younger brother. Both matches have been my favorite thus far in AEW, and I expect much more rich storylines & great matches in the foreseeable future.