BrendenPlayz Royal Rumble

The Royal Rumble PPV is available now on BrendenPlayz!
Match Card

Chat on Discord!

Join the BrendenPlayz discord channel and chat with fellow members!
Join

Backlash

WWE Backlash is LIVE on the WWE Network June 14th. Discuss the PPV featuring the "Greatest Match Ever" between Randy Orton and Edge.
Discuss Here
News Ticker
  • Check out the NEW Series of Total Extreme Wrestling available on Youtube & Twitch
  • Remember to join the discord chat and keep the discussion going!
  • New to the forums? Introduce yourself!
  • Want to create your own promos and a wrestling character? Join "Kayfabe" today!
Sign in to follow this  
Sameer

AEW suspends Sammy Guevara

AEW issued an official statement announcing that Guevara has been suspended until further notice from the company:

AEW insists on doing our part to create a world of understanding and respect for humankind. We therefore strongly condemn the extremely offensive and hurtful words of Sammy Guevara. As such, effective immediately, Sammy is suspended without pay until further notice. Sammy has agreed to undergo extensive sensitivity training and, upon completion, his future status within the company will be re-evaluated.

During his suspension, his salary will be donated to the Women's Center of Jacksonville.

I better watch what I joke about now or I might have someone try to take my livelihood away because of it 4 years later. Sammy made a shitty joke but it no way equates to the other stuff people are getting exposed for in my opinion. At least he's making up for it I guess.

1 hour ago, I Can't Odd said:

I better watch what I joke about now or I might have someone try to take my livelihood away because of it 4 years later. Sammy made a shitty joke but it no way equates to the other stuff people are getting exposed for in my opinion. At least he's making up for it I guess.

Rape isn't a joke.

Makes me very happy to see that they (Sammy and Sasha) apparently talked about it in private. In these days, when oh so many people take their shit to Twitter and start a beef, I'm glad they didn't make a huge mess out of it. Combined with the fact that AEW is taking disciplinary actions to make sure that Sammy learned his lesson, this seems to be taking a route that hopefully ends up as a feasible solution for all parties involved. If nothing else, points to him for being very blunt with this and not doing a wishy washy "I'm sorry you're upset" routine. 

If he backs up his apology with future behaviour that shows that he's learned and grown, to denounce the type of culture, that's what he'll be judged on for the most but you can't expect everyone to forgive it. No it isn't equal to someone like Joey Ryan currently and anyone trying to equate them confuses me or is just out for blood. Sammy isn't a predator, an abuser. Just a dumbass. But the language shouldn't be normal.
Who jokes about raping someone in THIS context? Like I understand the side of video game culture, especially in online games where someone loses their mind but this was direct. I’d say this type of language is a societal problem, you hear people casually use rape like it’s a normal verb in place of wrecked, which is a big problem on its own. Or in this case there were a dozen words he could've used to describe wanting to sleep with Sasha but he went to rape. 

It was a great message from Sasha, and her capacity to turn this into a way to make a larger statement on how we talk to each other shows the type of person she is. She’s giving him the chance to change by acknowledging that he apologised but anything beyond this point is all on him. Hopefully he can come back and from what I've read it seems working in AEW has helped him mature. Hopefully that is true.

Here's Sammy's apology video it seems pretty genuine. I didn't really want to say anything till a furthermore looked into the situation at hand. I understand where he's coming from with being immature at the time. We've all said some stuff that we regret in the past. It seems that he's understanding and taking his punishment. I'm glad that him and Sasha have discussed it. 

In the grand scheme of all the accusations, this seems like something that is out of place. Obviously the comment he made was immature and should be criticized, but getting suspended from AEW? A company that you have made a name for yourself in? And all of that, halting your momentum because of a comment you made 4 years ago. People have been coming out with stories about things that are legitimately illegal and heinous, and this just doesn't fit in with all of that. I hope he recovers from this soon because it seems like an honest mistake that other people have definitely made in their lives, he's just being punished for it.

As for his apology video, I 100% believe what he said, he seems very honest and down to earth about what happened. There's sincerity in it and you can tell he actually feels bad and that he's changed since he made the statement. Also, him discussing it with Sasha makes the whole situation more believable and legit.

To be honest, I might be in the "unpopular opinion" section when I say this, but I don't agree with the suspension. Say what you want, he was 22-23, him and Sasha talked it out. I understand if there was no effort from him to show remorse, but he legitimately went to the girl and apologized, had a nice talk with her and she helped him with some life lessons.

But my hatred for this suspension goes much farther than just the suspension, I just think it's stupid how cancer culture is becoming so prominent. I understand you can't say you wanna rape someone, especially in this current climate, but it was a joke on the Whole F'N show. If anyone has watched that show, you know it's a shit talking fest. Some people need to learn the phrase sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me